A few months ago I blogged about my friend Jenelle and how her baby had a suspected heart problem. Well, since then, she has had her baby, Taya was born on Thursday. I was so sure she was going to have another boy to add to her family of boys already. Anyway, on Friday I looked at my mobile and saw I had a message and it was from Jenelle. Apparently baby Taya was at the Royal Childrens Hospital having heart surgery!
I was so sad for her, especially after a repeat scan after her 20 week scan showed that there was nothing wrong with the baby's heart. She did have a scan prior to birth and apparently the right ventricle was enlarged, usually meaning that there is a hole in the heart, as thats what had happened to Paige. Paige has a left to right shunt, meaning that the blood flows at high pressure thru the hole from the left ventricle to the right ventricle and the right ventricle gets slightly enlarged.
Anyway, I dont know the full details of Taya's heart condition, but it mustve been pretty bad for her to have undergone heart surgery right after birth. Jenelle has been updating us via Facebook and text messages and baby Taya has been weaned off some of the drugs and got to have cuddles with mummy so thats a great sign. Im really hoping that she isnt in hospital for too long. Its hard to comprehend such a small person having to undergo such major surgery in her first few days of life, especially when the heart is so little.
We are very lucky to have such wonderful Cardiac surgeons here in Victoria, they have worked miracles on these little babies! Paige being one of them having undergone her PDA closure when she was 6 months old! Im thinking of Jenelle and her new daughter Taya all the time, hoping she will be stronger every day!
2 comments:
How sad for such a tiny baby, but it sounds like she is getting excellent care. Prayers to Jenelle and Taya.
xoxo
Aww that's got to be so scary. My thoughts and prayers go out to Janelle and Taya as well.
Post a Comment