Girls loved having my mum there today, they love their nanna very much! Paige was still firmly stuck to my lap but at least she was participating today and not feeling unwell. Anyway after playgroup finished at 11am we got the girls some lunch and a coffee for us and headed to the park and sat on the picnic table to enjoy the lovely day. It wasnt too hot today, and the park was deserted, apart from the council workers mowing the grass.
As soon as we entered the park I heard the familiar sounds of the cicadas. The sound was defening but I really do like these insects. When I sat at the table I saw one sitting there on the other side, just minding its own business. All around there were empty cicada shells and little holes in the ground from where they emerged. After lunch Summer wanted to have a play on the slides so we took them there and on the way there was a gazebo, and under the gazebo there mustve been about 20 cicadas under there! I was in awe of them. This is what they look like up close...
Whenever I see one I always think of my cat Mango as when we first moved here, I remember him catching one and he was just sitting there with one in his mouth. He wouldve had a field day if he were there today. I couldnt resist touching the one that was on the table where we were at, he didnt do anything but then just flew away. They have the most intricate wings, very delicate and lacy.
At dusk when its been a hot day, they sing their loud, shrill mating calls, and they do it during the heat of the day as well! I find them very intriguing and I would like to learn more about these primitive insects. So that was my day basically, I got to spend time with my mum and the girls and have a cicada watching session as well!

2 comments:
Wow, this is a very pretty template Danni girl and I just want to eat it! LOL And the bonus is that with the last one I couldn't open it in Internet Explorer so I downloaded Firefox to switch to whenever I opened your Blog. Now I don't have to! :-)
Can't say I'd ever enjoy touching an insect, but I appreciate how you like the sound these ones make.
So glad you had a nice day with the girls and your mom, and it's great to hear that Paige was participating a little bit. Wish I could say I share your fascination with cicadas. We get them here too during summertime in the evenings, but I find them too distractingly loud! I dunno, guess I'm just not an insect person, except for ladybugs ... whenever we find one in the house we always say it's my Dad visiting us, and never attempt to get rid of it :D
Pretty new template, Miss D. It's so deelish-looking and makes me want a cupcake ... or two *snort*
xoxo
Post a Comment