Sunday, June 07, 2009

A Friend In Need

Thought Id stick my head in and let you all know Im still kicking. Ive nothing much to blog about at the moment, although Im feeling a little Meh today. A friend of mine rang me yesterday to ask me about Paige's hole in her heart as this particular friend is 20 weeks pregnant and had her ultrasound a couple of days ago and they suspect her baby has a hole in the heart also. She was very upset and wanted some information about Paige's VSD. I was more than happy to give her some positive news, but I told her it all depends on the size of the hole.

Poor thing must be so worried, and I compeletely understand what she is going thru. The not knowing for sure must be driving her mad. I hope that if her bub does have a hole in the heart that its nothing major and wont need any open heart surgery. I think that is the scary part, the not knowing, and wondering if the heart defect is large enough to cause any detrimental effect on the baby.

I told her that they really dont know until after the baby is born, thats how they can get a clearer picture by doing an Echocardiogram on the baby after birth. I tried to reassure her that no all heart defects are bad, and if she needs to talk to someone I am here for her. I know how she must feel right about now, its awful being told your child may have something wrong with its heart. I gave her a copy of a heart conditions handbook from Heartkids, for her to read. Its much better than googling.

I just hope that everything turns out okay for her.

3 comments:

Jude said...

Danni I'm saying a prayer for your friend's baby, how scary it must be for her. You're a good friend to be there for her!

Janna said...

Aww, I feel for your friend, but she is fortunate that you can be there to offer comfort and support as another mother who has been through the same thing.

Blessing and prayers to her and her baby!
xoxo

Being Me said...

Scary times :( We're now high risk for future pg's too, heart-related issues, because of Ella's defect. Nothing more terrifying than going through a pg wondering "if", but to hear the actual dx.... just gut-wrenching for your friend.

You must be such a comfort to her right now xxxx I know it would be really draining for you, too, just worrying about her and caring so deeply as you do, dear Danni.