Okay, so yesterday was our first proper gluten free day. I was a bit worried at first when Paige refused her Gluten free toast, but then she saw me eating it and thought it musnt be that bad so she ate some too. She had McDonalds fries for lunch and Im not sure if theyre gluten free or not but will have to find that out. She is also really enjoying the gluten free pasta which is made of rice and maize starch.
Today was a little easier, and she ate just about a whole loaf of gluten free bread this morning. I went grocery shopping this morning and stocked up on Gluten free things, like flour, self raising flour, pasta, and a vegemite alternative, called Vege spread. It doesnt taste too bad, I hope she doesnt mind the taste of it. I cleaned out my pantry of everything that had gluten in it, like all my pasta, bread and flours. I know its probably silly to adopt a gluten free diet without being properly diagnosed but Paige eats so little its not worth just doing it for her, both Rob and I have made the sacrifice, and its only a small price to pay really, Id rather we all be gluten free than there being cross contamination and then Paige gets sick again.
I cant wait to see some results. I know it wont happen over night but we will get there. Im thinking of making some gluten free pancakes for breakfast tomorrow if I can be bothered. I need to get a gluten free cookbook and search the www for some gluten free recipes. I just realised yesterday that there isnt really a gluten free alternative for filo pastry, so spinach and ricotta pie will be out of the question now! Paige loves filo pastry, both raw and cooked, she likes it when its crunchy and eats that and leaves the spinach and ricotta behind.
It hasnt been that hard to adjust to so far. Im wondering how on earth Im going to find out if KFC and Mc Donalds chips have gluten in them. I didnt think that frozen chips had gluten in them but apparently they do. Well some of them anyway. Some have a coating and on the ingredients list it says that it contains gluten. Its all very daunting and I hope we get to see a dietician just for some advice and direction!
4 comments:
I was going to suggest a dietician too. Good luck Danni, it won't be long and Paige will be feeling soooo much better now. :-)
Well, I'm sure your Doctor will be able to recommend a proper dietician with regards to the gluten free diet. If I see anything on the food sites I check out, I will pass it on to you, as I know I have noticed quite a few gluten free recipes in the past. Keep the faith, Danni!! Sounds like you are most definitely on the right track!!
Hugs and Prayers!!
Linda Lou
xoxoxoxo
http://www.recipezaar.com/Gluten-Free-Phyllo-Dough-196827
http://www.coeliac.com.au/
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/lofiversion/index.php/t15039.html
Hey, Danni, here are 3 sites that may be helpful. The last one has some very interesting conversations on the Phyllo dough issue. Hope these are helpful. I believe there are a ton of these sites to check out, however, I best get back to work, before my boss gets back from lunch - lol !!!
Take care, my dear!!
Linda Lou
Gluten free is going to help Paige so much, and the added bonus will be a healthier way of eating for all of you. Good luck, Miss D, and I know you'll be a g/f recipe queen before you know it ;D
xoxo
Post a Comment