Monday, November 23, 2009

Its Been Confirmed

Today I called Paige's gastroenterologist for the results of her biopsy and I was so nervous all day long waiting for him to return my call.  I actually called twice cos the bitch of a receptionist was a bit snappy this morning when I called the first time and I was worried she wouldnt pass on the message.  I called again after lunch and he was still busy with patients so I was going to call again in the late arvo but just as I was about to call, something made me look at my mobile and saw I had a missed call and one message.  It was Dr Oliver with the results and its confirmed, Paige has coeliac disease.

I cant tell you how good it feels to finally have a diagnosis, its like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and now I can get on with getting her better.  The GF diet is already working; her mood has been so much better, she hasnt been as clingy, and today she even wanted to play at the playground at the shops.  I have to call him in the morning to talk about seeing the dietician as by the time I got the message it was late arvo so I had missed him.

She has been eating like a horse as well! I could hardly get her to eat anything some days because her tummy was so damn sore and bloated.  Its still bloated a little but doesnt feel as hard like it used to and today, she only did 2 poos, usually Im changing her nappy 4 times plus before we even leave the house to go out! Its still soft in texture but not explosive and watery like before (so sorry with the tmi).  Perhaps now I can get started with toilet training her. 

Im looking forward to getting her beefed up again and to get some meat on those bones.  Im looking forward to her anaemia getting sorted out, but she needs to eat more meat, giving her Ferro liquid is kind of helping but she doesnt eat anything with vitamin c to absorb it.  Bloody iron, its so hard to absorb on its own, I need to give her a huge steak but she wont eat it!  Granted she has been eating a bit of meat of late, she ate 3 gluten free snags the other night so I was happy bout that!

Im so happy, even though I wish she didnt have this and was just able to eat anything, but Im happy that I know whats causing all these issues.  Im so glad I brought this up at her paed appointment at the beginning of the year, I knew something was not quite right with her digestive system and as much as I like her paed, I knew it just wasnt "toddler diareeha"....see, mother knows best!

4 comments:

Janna said...

Great news that you finally have the diagnosis confirmed. It must be awful for all of you to have gone through months of not knowing what was truly the problem with her digestive system. And it sounds like she is on the road to recovery already, yay! Best of luck, Miss D, and enjoy your precious Paige as she begins to thrive again! xoxo

Anonymous said...

That is such good news, Danni!!
I'm so glad to hear Paige has already started to recover, that's the best part of all!! Poor little girl! It must be such a big relief to you. Let us know how it goes with the dietician.
Take care! xoxo
Linda Lou

Being Me said...

Mother does know best. Good on you for getting to the bottom of it. It's a really uncomfortable thing to live with, I've had gluten 'intolerance' (and dairy too) all my life but kept shovelling it in not realising or just ignoring the digestive signs that it didn't agree with me.

Paige will be feeling sooo much better now! I'm so happy for you and her.

Jude said...

At last it's confirmed, and what a relief for you Danni!