Monday, December 15, 2008

A Very Special Christmas Gift

Today when I dropped Paige off at occasional care, Lisa, the co ordinator and one of Paige's carers gave me a very special present; A DVD of a slideshow of various photos of Paige set to music.  These were taken over the course of the year and each child got one.  It was such a lovely and special surprise.  When I got home I sat down and watched it and cried.  I think it was because of the song that was in the background, it was " I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack.  Consequently this song was played by the celebrant at her naming.

I dont know why I had a good ole cry, probably a mix of the song and the images of my girl mixing happily with the other children set me off.  The kids just treat her as any other kid and I guess the older kids take care of her.  The carers are just wonderful with her and treat her the same as the other kids, they dont single her out because she has Down Syndrome.  The kids love playing with her and get excited when they see her which is lovely and heart warming.

Anyway, today was the last day of occasional care for the year.  The kids had a little end of year party, and we all had to take something in to share.  The kids all got a gift as well, a book each, and when I arrived to pick her up this arvo, she was so happy as she had a wonderful day.  She will be going back next year, and Summer will be joining her for an hour at first, then she will go every once in a while when I can get her in.  She doesnt mix with other babies except her sister so she needs the interaction.

7 comments:

Being Me said...

Ohhh Dan, I have tears in MY eyes! What a gorgeous thing to do, it sounds like a wonderful place to nurture Paige's growing sense of the world. Lucky girl.

Peach said...

I have tears in my eyes too! What a wonderful gift that her carers gave you. Maybe you can show it to us online. I would love to see it!

Jude said...

I'd love to see it too! What a lovely gift, and I can understand why it made you all teary-eyed!

Janna said...

Oh my let me jump on the teary-eyed bandwagon with our wonderful friends here! That is the sweetest gift idea from Paige's carers, and yes I'd also love to see the vid.

xoxo

Danni said...

Sorry ladies, I cant upload it to Youtube for some reason, bummer cos I really wanted to share :(

Being Me said...

Do you have a Vimeo account? Try it on vimeo.com?

Danni said...

Thanks Kirilly, Ill try that, the only problem is the DVD has separate files to upload thats why I cant upload the thing, I tried burning some copies and it was too difficult for me, I palmed it off to my mum instead.