Monday, December 08, 2008

Its Going To Cost How Much??

We had a quote done the other week to get our roof restored and our gutters replaced.  They really need to be fixed as our house is 30+ years and the roof nor gutters have been fixed or restored in all the time the house has been standing.  Our house was owned by an elderly lady who's husband had died in 1986, they had one son who clearly didnt help his mother maintain the house.

Our gutters are all stuffed, and whats more, there arent enough down pipes so the rain stays in the gutters and theyre rusting out.  There are many roof tiles that are cracked and need replacing plus all the ridges need to be repointed.  To cut a long story short, there is a shitload of work to be done up there.  Me being clueless was thinking it would only cost us a few grand at the most, but then he gave us the price I almost fell off my chair.  Its costing us $17000 to have the roof done and the gutters replaced, plus a few more down pipes put in.

Its a massive expense, and Im a bit annoyed that all our tax refund and the bonus that Mr Rudd is giving us will be going towards the roof.  I was really hoping to splash out a little on us but there is nothing I can do about it.   I know its a necessary expense, I dont want it to get any worse than it is.  We are lucky that our roof isnt leaking inside the house, cos thats when it gets messier as all the plaster needs to be replaced as well.  

It will be taking place after Christmas, and I think it takes a couple of weeks to do all the work.  Im looking forward to a nice green roof as we are getting it repainted in a better colour.  At the moment its a dark brown colour, and the gutters will be a green colour to match.  It will increase the value of our house, not that we are going to sell it anytime soon. 

Getting back to the bonus and our tax rebate, we had plans to put some in the bank in a term deposit, some to do our back yard up and some to do the roof, I didnt know it was going to be used up for the whole of the roof, thats how much I dont know, lol. Anyway, such is life, it has to be done and there is no going around it, we either get our roof done or be slugged more money down the track, so its best to bite the bullet and do it now.

5 comments:

Being Me said...

Oooh gawd, I feel your pain! Seriously. A necessary expense, best to do it now before something happens that you regret (because it may cost more if damage is done with it in its current state). Still, no less of a PITA.

Our roof is scary, we lose most of the points down the gutters as silt when it rains.... this place is over twice the age of yours and I doubt it's ever been repointed in that time either.

Have you considered going Colorbond? Or wouldn't it suit? Our neighbours paid $17grand two months ago to completely replace their tiled roof.....

New roof, whoot! How snazzy :)

Danni said...

We didnt think of replacing the entire roof, it would prolly cost us more anyhow cos of the gutters needing to be redone. Sometimes I wish we never bought this place, I think its the biggest financial mistake we made :(

Janna said...

Yeeouch! That is a lot of moo-la, but as you said a new roof is a necessary expense that should not be postponed any longer, plus it will really spiff-up the look and value of your house. Fortunately you have the tax money to use towards paying for it, even though we all could think of a thousand more enjoyable ways to use $17,000! ;D

xoxo

Jude said...

Holy shite I feel for you Danni girl! Homeowners never seem to run out of necessary big ticket items to spend all their hard earned money on, that's for certain! We were in the same boat 3 years ago, our roof and windows and doors were falling apart after 40 yrs. so we had to spend to get it all done. Ugh!

I would love to see before and after piccies of your house Danni. :-)

Danni said...

You got it Judles!