Friday, January 18, 2008

Some People Just Cant Be Educated!

Further to my post yesterday, Id like to add a few more things. The person I was talking about came back to the thread and started saying things about us mums with kids with Down Syndrome, "Pedantic" and that we "attack people and are agressive with our cause." Well, the reason we are agressive with our cause is that we are trying to educate people like that moronic person! As I said earlier, I respect the choice the person made, I am not one to judge her or anyone for that matter because they had a termination because of DS or any other chromosomal defect. What really rubs me up the wrong way is some of the bullshit people come up with!

This person said, and I quote

My Ob was 100% supportive of our decision - he advised me that nearly half (50%)
of ds children die by age 5, and a vast majority of the others have major
heart/health troubles all their life. Neither of these options were attractive
to me.

I cant believe that people in the medical profession are telling women that! What a load of friggen bullshit! This Dr sounds like one of those old school OB's like the one I had when I was pregnant with Paige. One that probably calls people with DS "Mongoloids" OMG I hate that term and it along with "Retard" should be banned from the english language.

We arent living in the 1960's and 1970's anymore where people with Down Syndrome were shoved into an institution and left in there to die. Believe it or not, we do have early intervention, and most children can attend mainstream school. Dr's who have this attitude that half of kids with DS die before age 5 should have their medical degrees taken away, its just totally mind boggling! I swear if anyone had asked me if I was going to put Paige into a home I wouldve torn them a new arse!

Id like to share another story with you. One time, Rob was making a delivery to one of his customers when this person said to him "I believe congratulations are in order." To which Rob replied "Yes", then this guy said "Oh I hope this one is normal and not diseased like your other child." Rob just said "Well, Paige is normal." This guy replied "Oh If my wife gave birth to a diseased child Id leave her and let her raise the child herself."

Rob didnt say anything, I guess he was too shocked to say anything. People like this cant be educated, no matter how much you try to stand on the soap box! Im sick of trying to tell uneducated ignorami that Down Syndrome isnt a disease, its not contagious, its not passed down thru the blood, etc. Yet people have their ideas and they believe what theyre told by half wits and Google!

Its so sad that there are some people out there that just listen to their own brains and their own ideas, when will people learn that all we are trying to do is stand up for our children?

5 comments:

Kakka said...

I have just come across your blog, via a link on another blog that I visit. I would like to congratulate you on your 2 beautiful daughters and the fact that you continue to update on a regular basis. The last couple of posts have really got my goat. I have a very good friend who had a DS baby when she was 16, way back in the early 60's. Her daughter now in her 40s is very much alive and well, works for Activ Foundation and has a meaningful life and lots of fiends. Yes, she has had some health concerns and her speech is limited but she is loves life and is loved by all her meet her. Another friend's niece had a little boy born with DS, he was diagnosed early and with the education program, went through mainstream primary school and now is at high school. While like you I think termination is a decision that is personal I wonder whether this person is feeling guilty at their choice and trying to justify to themselves that what they did is right. Look forward to further updates on your beautiful daughters. xxx

Amanda Marie said...

I can't even begin to tell you how sick and freaking tired I am of people and their constant ignorant remarks about Ds or special needs in general. I think one of the worst by far was when I was preggers with my 4th and one of my SIL's co-workers said that she sure hoped I had learned my lesson with #3 having Ds and didn't drink during this pregnancy. !!!!!!!!!

If that woman's doctor really did tell her that, he should not only be fired, he should be shot. Seriously...WTF is wrong with people?

Jude said...

It's so frustrating to deal with people's ignorance sometimes. But it must be downright hurtful for you to deal with some of the statements people make! Talk about backwards thinking!

Dory said...

OMG! what that man said to Rob (one of his customers) that is shocking! no wonder poor Rob didn't know what to say, I'd be shocked too! bloody hell! some people! [shaking head]...

Kylie Jansen said...

OMG I am in utter shock about the comment your DH got. That is just disgusting, I have goosebumps.

You are doing a fantastic job.

Kylie
xxx