Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Fussy Little Eater

One thing I cant stand about toddlerhood, is the fussiness when it comes to food! Paige is quite good most of the time but honestly, from one day to the next her tastes and likes and dislikes change! Im finding mealtimes are being a pain in the arse lately. When Im trying to give her lunch, she'll be too busy wanting to hold things, or pointing at stuff on the table and if I dont give her something, I find she wont eat. I feel like tearing my hair out at times.

I can hardly get her to eat any meat. I mean, she used to love chicken and now she hardly eats it. Same with other meats, except for maybe mince dishes, like meatloaf or rissoles or meatballs. She'll chew the meat then give it to the dogs. I really do worry about her iron intake. Lately she wont eat anything but bread or crackers. Oh and she loves potatoes in any shape or form but is partial to chips. She also loves to eat pasta, but I dont like to give her pasta every day of the week. Baked beans used to be a favourite, but now its even difficult to get her to eat those. I managed to give her half a small tin today for lunch.

Im thinking of how I can get her to eat veggies. She will eat fruit with no problem, loves cherries and peaches and grapes but veggies are pretty hit n miss at the moment. Im seeing her paed in February so Ill ask if he thinks she needs some vitamins or an iron supplement since she aint eating much meat. I know its a phase of childhood, but I do get concerned that she isnt getting all the necessary things to help her growth.

I used to get so stressed when she didnt eat much. In fact I used to get so upset when she used to throw the food onto the floor, but now I just ignore the fact. I know she isnt starving, she is just a little fussy at the moment and its perfectly normal for a toddler to be like this. It still does my head in though, I dont think that will change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my sister in law gave me a book for christmas which helps deal with this problem. It purees veggies and puts them into everything. Its really great and works. It's by Jerry Seinfeld's wife Jessica and is called. 'Deceptively Delicious'. I think she bought it at Kmart or something like that.

Danni said...

thanks for the suggestion, I may check it out :)

Jude said...

I've heard that pureeing veggies together with fruit tastes mostly like fruit, and maybe Paige will like that and STILL be getting her veggies that way.

As for meat, it could be she'll grow up to be someone who just doesn't like meat like one of my sisters.

See what her pediatrician says and try not to worry too much Danni. You're such a good mum and I bet Paige will be just fine.

Janna said...

I agree that mixing pureed veggies with fruit sounds like a good solution to this latest challenge with Miss Paige. Good luck, Mummy D!

xoxo

Deb said...

Danni, it sounds like Miss Paige is showing her stuff. It's such a moment in time when they start to show their independence and their own little personalities, but often it's at the cost of our hair. I've never seen a child at her age that didn't pick at what they wanted to eat and what they didn't want to eat. I have a 23 year old daughter that STILL does it! She eats like a bird anyway, and something that she really likes one week, you don't dare buy it the next week because her tastes have changed already. And she's not a meat-eater either. Eventually, Paige will settle into what she likes and doesn't like. In the meantime, McDonald's McNuggets ARE meat...even if they are dipped and deep-fried. ;)