Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Putting The Ole Soap Box Away....

...For now, until someone starts to piss me off again and needs to be edumacated! (Yes I know I spelt it wrong, it was intentional, a la "Lol Cats"). Its no point getting so angry about it though, its like beating a dead horse, or like banging one's head on a brick wall, some people just dont want to listen to you and instead just want to listen to what theyve been told from an unreliable source.

I want to tell you another story about a person I had a "run in" with on EB. Someone came and posted a thread about her friend and about testing for Down Syndrome. Of course I offered my point of view and my story, then someone else came around and said that she had a person with DS in her family and her OB told her she was a high risk because of that and had to be screened. Well, that got my hackles up let me tell you! Again, misinformation from someone in the medical proffession. I proceeded to tell her what a load of bullshit she was spouting and gave her some reliable info from The DSAV.

She came back and tore strips off me for it! But honestly, what a bunch of bullshit she was told! I told her that yes I had two cousins on either side of my family both with Down Syndrome but it had nothing to do with Paige having Down Syndrome! I was just unlucky and it was one of those things that happened. We had genetic counselling and our counsellor told us that neither of us needed to be tested further because Paige had the common form of Down Syndrome, Trisomy 21. She did ask about our extened families but she told me that I wasnt at fault and I wasnt a translocation carrier.

Anyhoo, the soapbox is going back into semi retirement now. I dont want to be known as the poster girl for Down Syndrome, although I do like to educate people (if ya hadnt already guessed by now, lol) and I love to answer any questions people may have, it doesnt offend me at all! So I shall leave this post here as I dont wanna get too fired up and spend half of my blog going on and on about misinformed unedumacated people, its no point getting angry about it, I only end up stressing myself out!

2 comments:

Dory said...

Oh Danni, I know how you feel! I don't particularly want to be the "poster girl" for Down Syndrome either, but some people get me so worked up that I have to post....you know what it's like :)

I love your blog too - I'm getting lots of inspiration for mine!!

Amanda Marie said...

It's tough not to pull that soapbox out and use it all the time, isn't it? I've gotten better at biting my tongue, mostly because I know I still have a lifetime to dust off the soapbox and climb up on it.

I know how hard it is to just leave it be, but some people really do not listen no matter how hard you try.