Sunday, January 18, 2009

Remember When We Were Kids?

I got tagged by my lovely friend Donna to do a reflective post about me when I was a kid.  What was I like when I was a teen? Am I still the same person? Well I think I havent changed much.  I was a shy person then and Im a shy person now.  It will take me a while to come out of my shell but once I get to know a person and feel comfortable with them, then Ill be confident to mix and mingle.  I hated crowds and speaking in front of the class when I was a kid, Id not get involved in class discussion and thats what my reports always said, "Danielle needs to be involved more in class discussion, and needs to ask for help more."

When I was 17 I was in year 12 at high school, although the year before I decided I was going to leave and become an apprentice chef, but my year 11 teacher said she had faith that I could do year 12, and it was hard to get a freaking job as an apprentice, so I bit the bullet and went back and did year 12.  I wasnt the type of student who would go home and study for hours on end, Id be the opposite and Id always put off doing my homework.  I always remember my parents telling me that my school years "Would be the best years of my life." And Id always laugh at them, but man, they were so true! Sometimes I wish I could go back to those care free days where I didnt have to worry about anything except getting a decent education.

I was still going to dancing lessons too when I was 17.  I spent 13 years at dancing and I loved it but then decided to call it quits as I had been dancing for many years and the commitment wasnt there anymore.  I did it for fun and not for competition or for a career in dance.  My hopes after leaving school was to study hospitality and shelved plans to become a chef (little did I know I would marry one 8 years later).  I had my first casual job after finishing school, at Pizza Hut as a kitchen hand, and I loved it then, it was only later when we got a new manager that I started being stressed out and not liking it anymore.

I loved being 17! I used to hang out with my best friend during the holidays, we'd go into the city and go to all our faveourite shops.  We'd go to each other's houses and have sleepovers and stay up really  late watching videos and listening to music.  I thought Id post a pic of me on my first day of year 11 at a new school.  In this pic I was 15 and a half and I was very nervous as it would be my first time mixing with boys after being at a girl school for the last 4 years!

2 comments:

Jude said...

Look at that sweet smile, what a charming shot of you Danni! I was much the same as you were, shy until I knew the person then I would open up. These days I'm not so shy anymore but I still don't go my crazy self until I know a person. LOL

Janna said...

Very cute, Miss D! I was also painfully shy, but not so much anymore.

Interesting post, I really enjoyed it :D



xoxo