Friday, March 13, 2009

Step Back In Time

I was browsing thru one of the catelogues that came in the mailbox the other day when I came across the 50th Anniversary Barbie Dolls and my heart skipped a beat! I so loved Barbie when I was a little girl and I would get a Barbie for every christmas or Birthday, I would spend hours just playing with all my beautiful dolls, brushing their hair, I loved them so!  Anyhoo, one of the collector dolls that Mattel have reproduced for the 50th Anniversary, is Superstar Barbie, from 1977! She was my very first Barbie and I remember her like it was yesterday.

I was in Kmart the other day and came across the display and I picked up the box and just didnt want to put it down! I was this close to picking up one of each doll (there are 6 altogether) and putting them on layby, but I couldnt justify spending $50 on each doll.  Im still thinking of purchasing the 1977 Barbie cos she was my first Barbie and Id really like to have her as a keepsake of my childhood (Ive lost my original), but then me being the little girl at heart would want to open up the box and take her out and play with her, and I know she would be worth quite a bit in Mint condition.  Plus Id have to fight off the little devils as theyd want to play with her and I couldnt let her get ruined.

Sigh....I really want this doll, but the little voice inside my head is telling me to show some restraint and not spend my money.  Im trying, really I am but Id love to have her and show her to my girls when they get older and tell them that this doll was mummy's first Barbie.  Neither of them have a Barbie yet, I think Ill be getting one for Paige when she turns 4 this year.  She has Bratz dolls that used to be mine as I was a collector, but every girl needs a Barbie and I know a lot of women say that she isnt a good rolemodel for girls but shit, let kids be kids and let them play with Barbie I say!  Look at me, Im 36 and Im still in love with dolls!  I can spend ages in the doll section of a toy shop or department store, wishing I was a little girl again and playing with my Barbies.

I always wanted a brunette Barbie but when I was a kid you couldnt get them in Australia that I know of, and I always wanted a Skipper doll, Barbie's little sister, but I was never able to get one of those either, and I had a Barbie Styling Head too, I used to  love that thing, pretending I was a hairdresser, lol. I recall saying that once I have children and if they were girls that I was going to buy them a Barbie of every variety, I still intend on doing it, someday.  Anyhoo, I thought Id post a pic of Superstar Barbie.

Superstar Barbie circa 1977
love that gown!
Of course mine only lasted in pristine condition
for only 10 mins, then I chewed her hands!

3 comments:

Janna said...

You know, I saw a feature article about Barbie's 50th on wikipedia a few day ago, and it brought me back too! I've cut my comment short 'cos it turns out I had enough to write my own entry about Barbie, so if you don't mind, Miss D, I'm going to be a copycat on my bloggy *snort*. I have to leave for work shortly, so I'll get to writing it over the weekend.

I say go ahead and treat yourself to Super Star Barbie! She's a beauty :D

xoxo

Being Me said...

Awwww I totally get what you mean. I've been looking for "my" Pretty In Pink barbie (it was my first, sometime in the 80's... Santa was pretty slow delivering, seeing as I was asking for one way before) but I can't find her.

Get it, Dan! Bet you won't regret it :)

Jude said...

I had lots of dollys as a girl too and I *think* one might have been a Barbie. LOL I know her 50th. anniversary is all the buzz right now!