I went to the library today to pick up some books I had on hold and while I was there I thought Id look for some cook books, Im so bored with all the cook books I have, and thats a lot! Anyway I found a Traditional Jewish cookbook and decided to borrow it. Im so glad I did because there are some real delicious looking dishes in there. Im really wanting to have a Jewish dinner, as I cant be bothered only cooking it all for Rob and I.
When I told Rob that I borrowed it, he said "Since When Are We Jewish?" (wise ass) And no, we aint Jewish but I love reading about Jewish food and their culture. Im surprised to learn that there are Italian Jews and Morrocan Jews, when I thought that Jewish people were only from countries like Russia, Poland, Germany and Israel, and of course the US. Anyway, my mouth was absolutely watering at the sight of some of these Jewish dishes, for example Potato Latkes, Matzo Ball Soup, and Kugel, not to mention Hummus and falafel.
The only thing stopping me from making certain things is the lack of Jewish ingredients in my neck of the woods. Id have to take a trip down to St Kilda where the Jewish community is quite large, and check out their shops, but I have no time to go schlepping across town just for some Matzo meal, Oy! *snort* I am in love with different types of cuisine and I wish I had the time to create and cook all these gorgeous dishes and eat them, no matter how fattening they are!
At times like these I wish I could just shove the healthy eating and have a blow out! But Ive come too far to do that. I had my weekly weigh in with Karen this week and am pleased to mention that I lost another 400grams and Im now sitting on 63.7kg! WOOT! I can fit into a size 10 top now which is just ace! Next week I get my monthly measurements done so Im sure I have lost more centermetres!
I wish I didnt mention food because now Im going to be craving Jewish cuisine, and now Im hungry! Might to make a coffee instead but it wont make the cravings go away!
4 comments:
Shalom! :D
Potato Latkes and Hummus are deelish! Fortunately there is a large Jewish population in NY so we have easy access to their cuisine. Oh, and I must make an honorable mention to that staple of the Hebrew menu, the good old Bagel! Now, I'm not talking about those puny tasteless clumps of dough that are carried in the frozen foods section of the supermarkets, oy vey! (lol) I'm speaking of fresh, airy and humongous bagels that are made in several flavors and with tons of different toppings. They are sold in virtually every deli shop here. "Bagel wid a schmeer" is a very familiar order at breakfast time in Manhattan ... translation is a bagel with cream cheese, and believe me when I say that it's a sinful slice of heaven! My fave bagels are sesame seed and poppy seed, YUMMMMMM!
Let us know how you make out with the cooking, Miss D-berg! *snort*
xoxo
LOL, when I was writing this post, Fran Drescher came into my head, and her "Ma" Sylvia, and how they were always eating Blintzes, and Brisket and Gefilte Fish *snort*
Oooooh you have now made ME hungry too! LOL
I've never tried Jewish food but some of it does sound deelish!
Oy! Fran and her Ma, lol. Well, I'll let ya in on a little secret ... most Noo Yawka's pronounce it the same way ;o) I rarely address my mother as "Mom" . It just doesn't sound right, lol!
Believe it or not, I've never had blintzes or gefilte fish, but brisket is deelish! Do you get any of our cooking shows in Oz? The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) makes a killer brisket. Man, can that woman cook! She's one of my faves on our Food Network. She looks like she enjoys eating *snort* and has the most soothing voice. She's also published a few cookbooks, natch ;o)
Post a Comment