Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stormy Weather

Bacchus Marsh was hit with a severe thunderstorm this arvo, and I was on the road driving into it!  I had left my grandma's house around 1pm and noticed the looming black clouds in the distance.  While listening to the radio, the news came on and said that Bacchus Marsh had been hit with a severe storm, brilliant!  As I drove nearer to home, the clouds became blacker and it became darker and there was lightening strikes a plenty, to which I was having mini freak outs cos I hate lightening, especially when Im out!

As I passed Melton and drove on the freeway towards Anthony's Cutting, it started to bucket down and I started driving slowly, I was doing 60 KM/H instead of the 90 KM/H!  It was beginning to get windy and I had the wipers on full.  As I exited the freeway, I couldnt see a thing! I was driving blind!  It was like I was trapped in some heavy mist!  I pulled over but was shitting myself because I was scared the cars coming off the freeway wouldnt have seen me even though I had my lights on!  I tried to stay calm but I found myself yelling out I was so scared!  Especially having two small children in the back!  They were oblivious to the weather outside as they spent the ride home snoozing.

The trip down the Avenue of Honour was even worse!  The Avenue of Honour is a tree lined road into Bacchus Marsh and there was an awful lot of branches on the road, and flash flooding!  My heart was in my throat I was so terrified! I dont think I was this terrified since we had a huge storm back in February of 2005!  I remember driving to work at 4.30am in the torrential rain and it was still dark outside!  My car was aquaplaning cos the tires werent that good.  I got onto the Westgate Bridge and then regretted that decision as I drove over it cos it was so windy and I couldnt wait to get to work!  It was truely awful! I didnt know it at the time but I was carrying precious cargo, I was newly pregnant with Paige and didnt know it yet!

I was so happy to be home in one piece today!  The rain didnt let up all afternoon, nor did the thunder!  We had a few very loud claps of thunder above the house, I was having mini freakouts and so were the dogs!  Paige and Summer didnt mind, and I loved hearing the rain beating down, I love summer storms but when Im inside!  We have some flooding up the street and our shopping villiage had part of its roof blown off!  I was actually going to go and do some shopping this arvo but decided not to go as it wouldve been madness out on the roads anyway, so lucky I decided not to bother as I wouldnt have been able to complete my shopping anyway!

I managed to get a photo of the rain from my front porch!  I wouldve gotten more except it was really coming down, it was like a white sheet!

Summer storm in Bacchus Marsh

4 comments:

Jude said...

You got a great pic of it Danni. I love summer storms, but I wouldn't want to have to drive in one with rain coming down that hard. Glad you got home safe and sound!

Janna said...

Oh wow! You're having torrential rains, and I'm having a humongous blizzard!
Nice photo, Miss D ... I can actually see the rain pouring down. Glad you returned safe & sound with the girls. These big storms are always more enjoyable from inside our homes, aren't they!
xoxo

Being Me said...

Awesome!

So weird, you know we didn't get a drop. But the sky looked sooooo black over your way, from here. Such a strange light at dusk, too, when the sun came peeping out and reflected off the black clouds.

Mel said...

Yikes. That sounds like a nasty experience. Glad you got home in one piece!