Friday, February 05, 2010

I Love This Movie

Last Tuesday the Movie Network on Foxtel had an Australia Day marathon of classic Australian films, one of them was Picnic At Hanging Rock so I recorded it to watch later on on my own.  For my US/Canadian readers (Janna, Jude, Linda) Picnic At Hanging Rock is set in the year 1900 on Valentines Day.  A group of schoolgirls from a private school for ladies, called Appleyard College, and two of their teachers, Madamoiselle De Portiers and Miss Mc Craw go on a picnic to Hanging Rock, which is in Mt Macedon.  Four of the school girls go exploring the rock and 3 of the four girls, Miranda, Irma and Marion go missing, as well as Miss Mc Craw.  Irma is found but the other three are never found. 

There is a lot of mystery surrounding their dissappearance and I was always led to believe that this was based on a true story, I am not sure if it is or not, all I know is that when I was in year 7, we also went on a picnic there on our way to camp and I was petrified, lol!  I want to share with you the opening scene of the movie.  I just love how the girls are reading romantic poetry and how theyre getting ready putting on their corsets and lovely white frocks!  There is one scene in the movie which makes me laugh every time, Mrs Appleyard, the Head Mistress is telling the girls that since its a hot day "they may remove their gloves, once the drag has passed Woodend"  LOL! Its a stinking hot day and theyre wearing all those clothes, I dont think I can see myself in that era, although it does seem like a wonderful era to live, Australia at the turn of the century.  Federation hadnt even occured yet, and Australia was still under British rule.

I love the frocks, although I dont think I could wear those corsets, and imagine having to wear hats, gloves, stockings, and boots along with a long sleeved frock in summer! OMG, Im melting just thinking about it!  So here is the opening scene of Picnic At Hanging Rock, take note of the music as well, so haunting, enjoy!

6 comments:

Jude said...

I've often thought about how awful it must have been to be covered from head to toe with all that clothing in the heat. Not this chicky!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree!! Bras are bad enough!! Can you imagine getting corsetted up every day, heat or no heat??? Yikes!!!!
Linda Lou

Danni said...

How would one breathe wearing a corset?

Jude said...

They didn't breathe very well in them Danni, which apparently is why so many ladies used to have "fainting spells".

Danni said...

Oy! Thank god the bra was invented, even though I do like corsets, you can get some lovely ones to wear, I cant see me wearing one

Jude said...

I think they could be fun if used for short periods of time in the boudoir, not laced too tightly and being meant to take off quickly. *wink*