I finally bit the bullet and decided to register to donate blood! I have always wanted to do it as I see the mobile Blood Bank comes to the YMCA around the corner from my place every month. When I saw it was going to be at the Y today I thought Id finally do something about it and register. What better time to donate as the Red Cross are looking for plenty of donors for the bushfire victims. I filled out the online form and now I just have to wait for them to call me back to make an appointment.
Hopefully I can do it when I can leave the kids with Rob or my mum as I cant have them running around while Im there. Im happy that Ive taken the step to do this, not just for the bushfire victims but for anybody. I remember what made me want to donate blood in the first place. It was back in 2006 when I was told that Paige may need open heart surgery for her VSD. I did some research on how the heart/lung machine functions and that donor blood is used. Thats what made me want to donate blood in the first place, but I dont know why I never did back then. Im sure I dreamed up some excuse, I cant really remember, (having children has turned my brain permenentaly to mush).
Anyhoo, so here we are now, Ive taken that step towards becoming a blood donor. There is nothing preventing me from donating blood. I read the FAQ on the website and it does mention something about antidepressants but I dont think it will hinder my donating blood. Im actually quite surprised that I signed up cos I always flinch when I have a blood test. That initial sting of the needle going into my vein makes me jump. The vein in my left arm is nice and big and I always tell the pathology people to take the blood from there.
When I think of donating blood I always think of The Simpsons episode where Bart runs away from home on Thanksgiving Day and donates blood in order to get $12. He lies and says he is over 18, so he donates his blood, then you see him staggering out of the blood clinic saying "Twelve dollars and a free cookie, what a country." Before he faints of dizziness. His dog, Santa's Little Helper eats his cookie. Lets just hope I dont get too woozie like Bart!
3 comments:
I wish I could donate. Just taking blood for medical tests is a huge deal. My veins are so small that they practically have to rupture an artery to get anything and I end up looking like a heroin addict. It's cute.
www.aduckinherpond.com.
Well done Danni!
Donating blood is a great thing. You'll be a pro. Just make sure you eat and drink before you go!
Thanks for stopping by Crumbs, SITSa!
Post a Comment