Monday, February 09, 2009

A Clean Bill Of Health

Paige's Paed was very impressed with her progress since her last visit last year.  He said she was looking well and very busy, she didnt stop for the whole time we were there! I mentioned her bout of runny poo and he said it was most likely gastro.  I expressed concern that she may have a gluten intolerance as she eats so much bread! She will eat a half a loaf of bread in a day and I was concerned that the bloated belly she has and the loose stools were caused by an intolerance to gluten.

It was only when I was chatting to a friend of mine who has a son with Down Syndrome, that it occured to me it could be a gluten intolerance.  Paige's Paed said that children with Coeliac disease are often sickly looking and dont thrive, but he gave me a referral for a blood test to check it out, he thinks its unlikely that its Coeliac disease and most likely just her.  Toddlers have a fast metabolism and if she drinks lots of water, which she does, its most likely whats causing the loose stools.

The referral for the blood test is also to check Thyroid function.  But he also believes that there is nothing wrong with the way her Thyroid is functioning as she is a very busy child and not lethargic in any way.  I dont know how she will go with the blood test, she hasnt had one for a while so if you hear some screaming and crying, fear not, its only her screaming Blue murder! I was so proud of her today though, because she wanted to walk and be independant and not be carried.  She does have a mind of her own though and wants to go into places where she isnt allowed to go.  But thats toddlers for you!

He doesnt want to see her for another 6 months now so its all good.  She is developing wonderfully, just like she is supposed to!

3 comments:

Being Me said...

Awww well now, she'll have to scream pretty loudly to drown out the din created by Miss I DON'T WANNA BATH over here. Tell Paige to give it her best shot though ;) Geddit? Shot?? ... hmmm.

Just trying to lift my spirits ;P

Good luck with the tests, hope it is what you suspect because then at leat you'll have something to work with.

Janna said...

Great news that Miss Paige is thriving! Good luck with the blood tests, and thanks for the screaming warning ... I'll have my earplugs at the ready, lol.

xoxo

Jude said...

Wonderful to know she's so well Danni!