It was a beautiful day today, not too hot and not cold, even though it started out pretty gloomy. There was no way I wanted to stay at home today, I spend all day every day at home and I just had to get out, so I suggested to Rob we take the girls down to Geelong to the beach. I think he was a bit surprised that I suggested it because I hate the beach with a passion.
Ever since I was a little girl, I hated the beach. The smell of the ocean makes me want to be sick. I hate the sand, I hate salt water, I hate seaweed, and did I mention I hate the smell? But today, I didnt dry retch at all when we got there and I was amazed at how unbelievably clean it was. We actually went to Torquay (for my American friends, Torquay is a town along The Great Ocean Road and has wonderful beaches). The sand was lovely and clean, no rubbish, no glass. There wasnt much of a beachy smell, and there wasnt many people as it wasnt a hot enough day for it to be packed.
I didnt take my bathers with me today, nor did I take the girls' bathers either as I didnt expected it to be so warm. The girls had so much fun paddling in the water at the foreshore. They both got wet so they ended up in their tee shirts and nappies. We took some lunch and had that on the rug, which was slowly getting covered in sand, which I cant stand. Paige was a little hesitant at first to go anywhere near the water, but Summer surprised me more as she went for it and we couldnt get her away from the water!
Paige finally warmed to the water and the sand, although neither of them liked the soft sand dunes and refused to walk on it so we each had to lug a little girl up the sand dunes to the car, which was bloody hard. I didnt need a workout after that, lugging a 10kg baby up a sand dune! We had a nice walk along the shore, checking out the people on jetskis and people with their dogs. Summer got tired then so I had to carry her back because she was starting to lag behind, her little legs were getting tired.
When we got back into the car we went for a drive but I didnt see much as I fell asleep. So that was our afternoon today! I think we will have to go more often now. I couldnt get over how clean it was. When I used to go to the beach as a kid, we used to go to Williamstown or Altona and it always used to smell, and the seaweed used to put me off, but I think I like Torquay, I think its won me over!
3 comments:
Torquay sounds lovely! I haven't been to the beach in years (except Jones Beach where there is an outdoor concert theatre, although it is separate from the actual sandy areas. That is where I saw Def Leppard for the first time :D ) I live within easy access to several other natural beaches as well, but I never seem to have the time or ambition to go, so unlike my younger sun-bunny years when I lived at the beach, lol.
xoxo
I love the beach, but if it stunk I guess it would put me off too. Sounds like you had a lovely day Danni, wish I could have been there too!
It sounds like fun! I've never been to a beach beach, just a lake beach!
Post a Comment