So today was Valentine's Day, but it was also Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Day. I bet you didnt know that? Congenital Heart Defect awareness is as important to me as Down Syndrome Awareness because the two of them go hand in hand. Fifty percent of children with Down Syndrome have a Congenital Heart Defect, and Paige is one of the 50% of children affected.
Paige was diagnosed with a Ventricular Septal Defect (a hole in the heart) in utero as most of you know. We are very lucky that she hasnt had any problems with this and its slowly closing. I was so very worried that she may have had to undergo open heart surgery to correct this but luckily, her Cardiologist says its not needed. The only surgery she ever had was coil insertion to correct her Patent Ductus Arteriosis (persistent arterial duct) that remained open after birth, causing her to have increased heart/lung pressure. This was done by catheter inserted into the groin.
For many other children with CHD's they're not so lucky, having to undergo operation after operation. One of the ladies who works at the gym has a niece who has a CHD and has had so many operations in her short life. I cant begin to tell you how many operations she had in her first year. Paige is one of the lucky kids. We are very fortunate that we dont have to go thru any of what other children with CHD's have to go thru.
Did you know?
*Heart defects are present in 1 in 100 babies
*Heart defects are the most common birth abnormality
*Heart disease in children is the leading cause of young children death in Australia, accounting for more than 30% of all childhood deaths.
*Childhood Heart Disease takes more lives than all other childhood diseases combined
*Nearly twice as many children die each year from congenital heart disease compared with all childhood cancers
*More than 2015 babies are born in Australia each year with a heart defect
*Childhood heart disease is no fault of the parents or the child. It is simply a result of the cruel hand of fate
*The severity of defects in heart children can range from a hole in the heart, to a highly complex combination of conditions
*Up to 20% of heart defects are gene-linked abnormalities, but for the remaining 80% the cause is largely unknown
*More than half of these conditions are serious enough to require treatment through medication or surgery – sadly some cannot be repaired
*Cures of these heart conditions remains unidentified, therefore there is an immense need to develop early intervention strategies to identify and prevent heart disease in children
*Heart disease is the most common reason for admission of Australian children to intensive care units with more than 1300 being admitted each year
*The term ‘congenital heart defect’ refers to an abnormality of the heart, which is present at birth. It has nothing to do with diet or obesity
*Heart valve replacements come in 3 forms: homographs (valves from humans) tissue valves (from cows or pigs) and mechanical man-made valves
*Some children acquire heart conditions during childhood, eg cardiomyopathy, Kawasaki disease or as a result of rheumatic fever
*A disproportionate number of indigenous children suffer from acquired heart disease – often as a result of rheumatic fever, which is rampant in many communities
*Heart Transplants are much more challenging for children as their immune systems are not fully developed
*The only Paediatric transplant unit in Australia is at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne
(taken from the HeartKids Victoria website)
94 comments:
That is a very important post. I didn't know that this was CHD awareness day. I lost my 3rd child to hypoplastic left heart syndrome. He was born without the left ventricle of his heart. He would be 11 now, had he lived.
Stopping by from SITS. I didn't know all of those facts about CHD. That is very interesting. I am glad to know your daughter is on the lucky side of things.
God Bless darling Miss Paige. I pray she continues to be a healthy, happy child <3
Happy Valentine's Day to you dear friend.
xoxo
STopping by to thank you for visiting me and I got to learn something new.
It's important enough information to highlight every chance you get.
Thank you for this post. I am a nurse, and I could never do pediatrics because it just broke my heart to see children suffer!
Stopping in from SITS & glad I did. A darling little daughter of friends was born with a hole in her heart--I must admit I don't know the diagnostic term. But I do know this: she is now a vibrant, healthy, beautiful 7-year-old ballerina. God bless your sweet girl.
(((Hugs)))
Hi www.greedygirlsguide.com checking in from SITS
Great Post
Stopping by from SITs! Very interesting...I'm not very educated in this field at all. Thanks for the tidbits!
Blessings to you - I pray you have a super day!
www.ilovemy5kids.blogspot.com
Coming over from SITS. I am grateful that the hole in your daughter's heart is closing on its own. Praise God!
What an informative post.
Beth
Gee 1 out of 100.....that's down right scarry.
How scary for parents who deal with this. Makes my lumpectomy pale in comparison. Congrats on your SITS day!
Happy Tuesday, and SITS day. I didn't know those fact about CHD, but I was a CHD patient when I was a small child. I had a hole in my heart as well, but I was lucky, and it closed on it's own.
My prayers with be with y'all
Very informative...1 in 100..wow.
Those stats are staggering...
thanks for sharing your story and such important info!
Over from SITS to say hello. Thanks for sharing those statistics - very informative. Hope your daughter continues to do well.
Here from SITS. What an astounding amount of facts that I didn't know about CHD. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the post.
I didn't realize the odds are that high but I am one of the statistics. All are do not become life threatening if found out early as with Paige. Glad she's doing well. Thanks for the info. Stopping by from SITS.
Wow, I had no idea heart defects were so common! Scary. Glad your duaghter is doing well!
Stopping by from SITS. Enjoy your FB day!
I wasn't aware of many of those statistics! Thank you for raising awareness!
I remember this post from when you first wrote it. Mine is the first comment. My son's birthday was a month ago today. He would have been 12 years old. I miss him everyday. Thanks for educating people about CHD.
WOW! So much information. I had no idea! Stopping by from SITS...have a good day!
Thanks for the post. Stopping by from SITS
Thank you for sharing your story and all the facts about CHD.
Stopping by from SITS
Important information, thank you. Happy SITS day!!
A sobering look at the day.
Congrats on your SITS feature! I'm glad Paige is one of the lucky ones!
What a blessing to you that your daughter doesn't have that! I had no idea so many other things came along with Down Syndrome. My husband's aunt (who is about 52) has it, and has been very lucky to have such wonderful care and to still be healthy and happy. Wishing the same for you and your daughter!
Thank you for the information about CHD. It's so important to get the facts out there to raise awareness. My daughter also has special needs, so I'm part of the club that no one wants to belong to (but, truthfully, I can't imagine it any other way-- I'm so in love with my little girl!) ;-) I'm stopping by from SITS, and I'm so glad I did!
Those stats are crazy...thanks for informing us all.
Jamie :)
My cousin's daughter was born with a hole in her heart. She's had one surgery & she is now 19 years old.
wow, I had no idea.... thanks for sharing
One of my twins (born at 27wks) had a heart defect. Thankfully the whole closed but I was unaware of a lot of those stats. Thanks for sharing them with us!
So informative and surprising.
Congratulations on your SITS day.
Thank you so much for sharing! My youngest was born with a murmur and a small hole in her heart. We have to go back to the cardiologist every so often to have her checked, but it doesn't affect her quality of life, which is good. :)
Wow I had no idea they were this common. Veyr scary to think about. Very informative post, thank you!
Happy SITS day!
Great information.Sad, but good to know.
Thanks for sharing such important info with us!
Thank you for the information. I didn't know much of that before.
First off, congrats on being the FB! And what a very informative post! I never knew that of 14 Feb!
Wow. Such startling statistics! I lost my little sis to Transposition of the greater vessels. I was two when she passed away. She would be 29 - I miss her everyday.
Love and wishes sent your way today.
Interesting statistics. I have an extra electrical connection in my heart and it sometimes causes tachycardia and an arhythmia-though it rarely bothers me anymore.
Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for this important information. Awarness is the key.
Stopping in from SITS-
Wow, I did not know many of what you posted. Its pretty common, I see. I cant believe that there is only one facility in Australia for that procedure. This must be difficult to deal with, especially as a mother. I wish you luck and health to all your family!
-robin
www.robingillis.blogspot.com
I had no idea that heart defects were so prevalent in babies. Thanks for this post.
Just gave my own baby bump a little rub ... amazing to think of the mirade of conditions that can affect a fetus ... such a miracle to give birth to a healthy baby!
My BFF from high school and college has a little guy with a transposed left/right ventricles. His first open heart surgery was this past November. I went to Stanford Children's Hospital to support her - it was a truly eye-opening experience. We are now working to create a foundation that offers support to families of babies with heart conditions.
Thank you again for expressing this important message!
Wow, those figures are pretty staggering, I had no idea heart disease was so common in children. It's great news that your little one is doing so well.
My oldest son's aunt had heart problems from birth. I don't know all the details because she never spoke about them much. I do know that she couldn't have children because of it and that was really sad because she would have been an amazing mother. She died last year at the age of 38 with no warning. It's a serious issue and it's good to shed light on something that most people don't even know exists.
~a SITSta
What startling facts. Thanks for the awarness.
Great info! Nice to meet you...
Mariel
www.oneshetwoshe.com
I did not know Valentine's Day was CHD Awareness Day. My first child, Helen, died from hypoplastic heart syndrome in 1991.
She would have celebrated her 18th birthday on July 20th. I wish I all the information in your post available to me then.
Thank goodness Paige is one of the lucky ones.
That's interesting - I had no idea!
Stopping by from SITS.
Wow! Those are scaring statistics. I had no idea.
Happy SITS day.
Awareness is the first step. Thank you for the education.
G'Day!
Wishing your lovely girl continued health and thanks for the information.
Thanks for the information. I had no idea. And many blessings to Miss Paige.
That's a great post!!
Stopping by from SITS. Thanks for all of the info!
Thanks so much for sharing this info! I had no idea! Happy SITS day!
thanks for sharing this with us.
thanks for all the info - my daughter was born with a small - very minor heart issue!
I had no idea - I will certainly think differently about Valentine's Day.
So glad to hear your daughter will not need surgery.
Happy SITS Day.
Thank you for sharing all this info! I learned so so much.
Happy SITS day!
Hi, I'm stopping by from SITS. Thanks for sharing that info. I definitely did not know any of that.
I've only recently been informed of the stats on children who are cardiac care kids. Good for you for getting the information out there. Every year there was one child that was cardiac care in each grade level at our school. It is staggering.
Stopping by from SITS! I didn't realize all those facts...very interesting. I'm happy to hear that your daughter is one of the fortunate ones.
I have a good friend who lost one of her twin sons to a heart defect. While he was waiting for his 2nd heart transplant, he died from an infection he got while at the hospital and he was only 4. So sad.
Many Many prayers, I didn't realize that about CHD. Anytime we can help with our blog, let us know!
I'm glad you are sharing your knowledge about this so people can learn about it. Happy SITS day!
Very interesting article. Tahnks for sharing this information to those of us who are not that familiar.
Happy sits day!
Thanks for the facts.
Gosh, I didn't know any of this really. I am sorry you're daughter has to go through this but I am glad she is on the luckier side of things. My heart is breaking at your 1st commenter.
On the upside, congrats on being featured today!!!
Thanks for sharing about this and for spreading awareness.
Wow! I didn't know all of that~
Stopping by from SITS!
(I am wondering why I am the 78th comment here but over 300 people rollcalled on SITS?)
Enlightening post. Stopping by from SITS!
Visiting from SITS. Didn't realize that heart disease affected children so much. Typically, it's thought of as an adult disease. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I didn't know either. Thank you for such an insightful post. Stopped by from SITS. xx
Just dropping by from SITS. Thank you for sharing all of those facts!
I was born on Valentine's Day. I never really like celebrating my birthday because of all the hype about love.
Thank you for this post and educating us all on such important facts.
I will truly never again think of Valentines in the same way. Thank you for shedding light on this for all of us!
Very, very scary statistics. Thanks for sharing on your SITS day.
Thank you for sharing those statistics! Stopped in during your SITS spotlight day!
Thank you for sharing and getting the word out!
Happy SITS Day!
Thanks for sharing!!
Happy SITS day! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your story.
i had no idea, thanks for spreading the word.
great post! thank you for sharing your knowledge. Two of my babies were born with heart murmurs which eventually resolved itself but it is still stressful nonetheless!
Happy SITS day. Beautiful design and background btw! love it!
Wow, I had no idea. I'm so glad that your little angel hasn't had to suffer that way and it makes me all the more thankful for my healthy bambino!
Whoa! I had no CLUE so many babies were affected!! Thank you for posting this!
My nephew born eighteen years ago and passed away almost immediately, hand congenital heart defect. Your post was very interesting for me.
This is such a big issue and I am so happy you chose to write about it. People need to know how important this is and thank you for bringing it to everyones attention! Happy SITS Day. Sorry I am late but I wanted to still stop by!
I wasn't aware of this so read this post with interest.
Sorry I'm a day late! Happy SITS day.
LBM xx
Stopping by from SITS and thanks for sharing this Awareness.
Thank you for bringing awareness to CHD. I was born with atrial septal defect and even though I had a supposed benign heart murmur, no one knew there was anything wrong with me until a few years ago when I started having noticeable side affects in college. Even then no one believed me because they couldn't catch me having an arrhythmia or anything. I wore a halter monitor on more than one occasion but when I went home on holiday from college, my family physician believed me and ordered a echocardiogram and then they could actually see the hole. Now I believe that if any child has a heart murmur I will highly recommend that test at the least. I just celebrated my 28th birthday and soon will be celebrating my first year of marriage! I should have a normal life thanks to the surgery that repaired my hole and my husband says it's one of the things that he loves about me. He thinks I'm brave:) Boy do I have have him fooled! I'm proud of my scar. It's a part of my story. Stopped by from sits!
Post a Comment