Friday, November 21, 2008

10 Years Ago Today....

Rob and I were married! I cant believe we have been together for 13 years and married for 10! For those of you unfamiliar with how we met I shall tell you the story. We were both working at The Windsor, he was a chef and I was working in room service. I didnt really know him that well because I was working in banquets at first and he was down the other end of the hotel in the main kitchen so I didnt have much to do with him.

Once I started working in room service I got to know him a bit more, and I soon found out thru one of the other chefs that he liked me. In fact, the whole kitchen and most of food and beverage knew he liked me but he didnt have the nerve to ask me out, so I bit the bullet and asked him out for a coffee one evening after work. He ended up taking me to one of his friends' parties and I wasnt really impressed with his friend's party, we stayed for like 5 minutes then he drove me back to the hotel to get my car.

Anyhoo, a week later he asked me out for a proper date. He came to my house and had a huge bunch of flowers and took me to an Italian restaurant in Lygon Street. We copped so much shit from our co workers for months, and we were the subject of hotel gossip! Dont ask me how he proposed, I think he just said, "I want to marry you" , he did ask my parents if he could marry me, which was nice of him to do.

On November 21, 1998 we were married in a traditional Catholic mass. It was such a blur really, it went so quick. One thing that went wrong was that my flowergirl, who was about 2.5 years old, got sick on the way to the church. So a 5 minute trip to the church ended up to be half an hour as we had to stop and clean her up. I think Rob thought I stood him up because I was late, but all brides are supposed to be late, lol.

I had such a damned headache that day, possibly from nerves, and not eating much, I was so nervous, who could possibly eat? The reception seemed to have gone so quick, no sooner had we eaten and cut the cake that it was time to say goodbye to our guests and we were soon on our way to our hotel room in the city. Our wedding night wasnt anything special, just so you know. We spent most of the night trying to get the millions of bobby pins out of my hair.

On the Sunday, we went home to our little bungalow we were going to live in, at the back of my grandparents' place, and opened presents. It seemed odd being there, in our own little place, although it only consisted of 3 small rooms, it was still home. On the Monday we were off to our honeymoon destination of Coffs Harbour. It was so humid there that my hair frizzed up! We spent a week at a lovely beachside resort and had our own little villa. The weather was a bit drab for the first couple of days, humid and overcast with a storm thrown in for good measure.

A highlight of our honeymoon was the huge seafood platter we had in the restaurant. It was a never ending platter as we just couldnt make a dint in it, Rob ate so much that it all ended up coming back up again, *snort*. It was all over too soon and we were back home to go back to work and continue our lives as a married couple.

So here we are 10 years later with 2 children and a house. Sometimes he drives me crazy, and Im sure he needs a medal to put up with my moods but at the end of the day we love each other like we did when we first met. Last but not least, here are some wedding pics I thought Id share, enjoy






4 comments:

Janna said...

Aww, Happy 10th Anniversary, darling friend! What a great story, and the pics are just lovely. You both look gorgeous, and so very young! That's not to say you're "old" by any stretch! Compared to *this* aging fossil, you will always be youthful and radiant, lol!

I hope you and Rob had a wonderful day with the girlies. I adore you all to pieces, and it's been a pleasure knowing you for half your married life! xoxo

Janna said...

I forgot to add to my first comment that I just LOVE the new layout! Where do you find such unique and pretty ones? xoxo

Being Me said...

Aww happy (belated) 10th anniversary :)

Jude said...

Happy Anniversary!! :-)

I agree with Sista J. that is a really great write up you've given us all about your romance and wedding. And OMFG Danni you are soooo pretty, as a bride even more so!