Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Not All Good News

Today we had Paige's appointment with Endocrinology and Diabetes at the Children's Hospital and let me say that even though it went well and we dont need to go back to see them, the news wasnt all that wonderful.  All her hormones are fine, and she is growing but she isnt thriving, in fact she has fallen right off the growth charts for both the regular kids and the DS charts as well.  She is malnourished.  Well, I didnt need to be told that cos anyone with a brain can tell she is.  But when the Dr told me it was like a knife in my heart and I just held my baby and cried in the office.

The Dr wasnt blaming me, its the fucking coeliac disease doing it to her!  Fuck! I just want to stop with the gluten already and just get her on a gluten free diet ASAP! But I cant until she has the biopsy and the diagnosis is confirmed, otherwise it wont show up and she will get a false negative result! Goddammit!  Yesterday I rang the nurse in charge of booking the biopsies and asked if it was at all possible for her to get it done sooner if we went private (my beautiful mum offered to pay for it) but unfortunately, we cant because November 18 is the only date that her Dr has available.

She did however mark her as URGENT and if there is a cancellation, she will ring us to get it done earlier.  The Dr we saw today also tried to get it pushed forward but its the same scenario.  She also said that once the gluten is out of her diet she will start to grow and thrive the way she is supposed to.  I just get so sad looking at my poor little girl with a bloated, distended belly, and small arms and legs, it breaks my heart and I wish that it were me who was suffering and not her.

Im feeling so depressed of late cos she just doesnt have the energy to do anything she used to do before all this started.  Sometimes I wonder why there is a God and it questions my faith when this stuff happens.  Im not a religious person, I believe in God but stuff like this starts to make me wonder.  Anyhoo, I went to the Chemist today and bought some Ferro Liquid and will start giving her that as there is hardly any iron in Pentivite.  Will call our GP tomorrow before I start on it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Poor Paige!! Danni, I sure hope and pray that they have a cancellation for the biopsy and that you get in a lot earlier. I can just imagine the stress you are under. Try to keep calm, as I'm sure the Doctors will do everything they can to get Paige's condition straightened out, hopefully very soon. Lots of Hugs & prayers!! - xoxoxoxox
Linda Lou

Janna said...

I feel awful for your darling Paige. I hope you can see the specialist sooner via a cancellation. At the risk of you seeming like a "pest" -- although it doesn't matter what anyone thinks when it concerns your child! -- even though they've marked her case as urgent, I'd call them often to inquire; this way, she is always fresh in their minds.
Sending you calmness, prayers and hugs, dear friend, and hope Miss Paige is soon well!

xoxo

Being Me said...

Jesus, Danni. How upsetting. Poor little darling :( Really feeling for you (both) xxx

Jude said...

How frustrating this must be for you! Poor Paige has been through so much and so have you. I too will be praying that they can get her in sooner. Keep us posted Danni! (((hugs)))