Friday, August 29, 2008

Grocery Shopping With A Toddler-101

This week I did my shopping with both of the girls, usually I do it while Paige is in Occasional Care, so that means I only have Summer to take shopping. But this week I ran out of stuff early so I did my grocery shopping with them both. I had Paige in the actual trolley, and Summer up the front in the seat. I have done this a couple of times if Ive needed a few things. I dont take the pram as Summer doesnt like it much in there so I use a trolley.

Anyway, all started off okay, Paige was happy to sit inside the trolley, playing with the packages of food, but then she started throwing my groceries out of the trolley. My strawberries were tossed overboard, Aaarrgghhh!! along with a few tins and a packet of pasta, and only last week Rob said how good she was not to throw things out of the trolley, well, we spoke too soon didnt we?

Then today I had to nip into the supermarket to get the few things I couldnt get from Aldi and again, Paige started tossing things overboard!! But then she spied the packet of mini donuts I put into the trolley and she went nuts, wanting one, and then Summer joined in the chorus of wanting a donut. Of course I didnt give either one of them a donut as they hadnt been paid for yet. Something tells me I shouldve put them in last instead of first because the whole trip was marred by Paige whining for a donut. I even hid them under my handbag but she still knew they were there, nothing gets passed her, or Summer for that matter.

Its been a bit of a trying week behaviour wise for Paige. She has started giving me attitude whenever I want to change her or brush her hair. She runs away or stamps her feet or starts to cry if she doesnt get her own way. She gets into everything, the video cabinet, my cupboards, her drawers, I lose count at how many times I have to pick up the clothes from the floor as she takes them off the clothes airer, drives me nuts, but she thinks she is "helping". Anyway, I try to ignore the tantrums when she throws one.

She has been good with Summer but then there is the odd time where she will start pulling her hair. But Paige had a bit of a shock a couple of days ago when Summer scratched her on the face (Summer's new "thing" is scratching and pinching, not very nice, let me tell you). First all Paige did was say "Oohh" then her face dropped and she really started to cry. I was a bad mum and laughed but it was funny, Summer finally got her own back for all that hair pulling. Methinks its only the beginning!

2 comments:

Peach said...

First off, let me say that you are very brave to take both your kids shopping. That is a chore for me and I hate to do it but sometimes I have no choice. Throwing food out of the cart -- very normal for them to do. Livy does the same thing. She also whines when she wants something but can't have it. That's why most of the time, Joe or I will shop and other will stay at home with her.

It looks like the sibling rivalries are already beginning with Paige & Summer. Get used to it! Wait until they start fighting over clothes. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh you're a brave lassy lol. I have ventured out now and then with Luke and Sam but it was like shopping with a couple of untethered goats so I decided it wasn't a very good idea rofl!!