Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Diagnosis

I got a call from Paige's Paed yesterday in relation to her blood test results. The blood tests were to check her Thyroid function and a screening for gluten intolerance. The results for her thyroid function came back fine, but the gluten intolerance screening came back positive, and I wasnt at all surprised. I had been concerned she had a gluten intolerance for some time now, as her poos are just so explosive and sometimes they explode right out of her nappy. Not only that but theyre plentiful as well, making toilet training extremely difficult.

He didnt suspect it at all and thought it was just her, or she was getting over a bout of gastro. So he too was surprised that this came back positive. Next step is a referral to a gastro paed to investigate it further. Im not sure what happens, Ive been told that they do a biopsy of the bowel and then if that comes back positive she will have to go on a special gluten free diet. It doesnt surprise me at all that its come to this. She has the horrible bowel motions, a bloated tummy and some days she just doesnt feel like eating because she feels so bloated I imagine, poor little girl.

So now we will have to wait and see what the gastro paed says when we see them, Im not sure when that will be. I will be researching gluten free diets as this whole family will be going gluten free, it will be much easier and much better for all of us!

2 comments:

Jude said...

It's good to finally have a diagnosis on this for poor little Paige, and I hope she won't have to wait long to see the specialist. That's a good idea to put the family on a diet that's good for her, you're right it would be good for everyone anyway. Hugs!!

Janna said...

Glad you finally have a diagnosis for Miss Paige. The gluten-free diet will defo help her, and it'll be a good way of eating for all of you too!

xoxo