I think it was around late 1985, early 1986 when I discovered them, but they had been around since 1983, but there was no one in the group that stood out before. I remember some girls at school who were into them and seeing pics of them and when I saw them and heard their new song on Take 40 Australia, thats when I knew I had a crush, or moreso an obsession. It was Aussie band Pseudo Echo that had caught my eye. For my friends Janna and Jude, Pseudo Echo were a synth-pop band and consisted of four members, Brian Canham (Lead vocals/guitar), Pierre Gigliotti (Bass), James Leigh (keyboards) and brother Vince Leigh (Drums).
James and Vince were new members to the group who had replaced the exsisting keyboard player and drummer in 1985. Let me just say that when I saw James, I fell for him hook, line and sinker! Man I was so in love with that guy. Just ask my mum (mum are you reading this? remember how much I loved James?) My room was plastered in Pseudo Echo posters. I remember my cat once ripping one of my beloved posters and I bawled my eyes out as I sticky taped it back together!
I used to buy Smash Hits magazine every fortnight, as well as whatever other magazine they were in, and back in 1986/87 they were in loads of mags! I used to watch Countdown (Sunday night music show) every week as they would be on every weekend almost! I remember racing home from school one afternoon because Brian and James were going to be on some after school programme, so I had to be home to tape it!!
I was convinced that when I grew up I would marry James. He was the young, shy boy, being only 17 when he joined the group. I was 13 at the time and he wouldve been around 18 then so I thought we were a match made in heaven, lol. Then in late 87 they went a little quiet, I think they were recording their new album and I had kind of moved on by then. I had taken all my posters down to make room for the next group, lol.
They came back in 1988 with a new sound and at first I didnt really like it. They looked a little different too, James had long hair (shock horror!) and they werent the Pseudo Echo I remembered. However years later I had bought their Greatest hits CD and played it a lot. Ive only just dug it out again and have been playing it in the car. I still love their music, reminds me of when I was a young teen. Ive also been watching their clips on Youtube and have found some awesome live footage.
I never got to see them in concert as they would play in clubs a lot and no under 18 venues near me so I couldnt really go could I? My aunt and one of my cousins had seen them live quite a bit, and my cousin gave me some snaps in a frame of my beloved guys, it had a spot on my bedside table. They split up in 1990 I think but have done reunion gigs and I would love to see them if I can find a place theyre playing at, just another gig to drag Rob to.
Oh and back in 1997, there was a new band on the scene called Vertigo who had a hit single called "Forever Lately" and I remember seeing the clip and who should be on keyboards and drums? James and Vince! and their other brother Gerry was on guitar and some guy named Hugh was the singer! Couldnt believe my eyes, it was great to see them again!
Anyway, I will leave you with some pics and videos of Pseudo Echo, enjoy!
Pseudo Echo circa 1987
PS~ And for the record I still think James is gorgeous.
Pseudo Echo circa 1987 live in concert
Pseudo Echo circa 1988 ( I didnt like the song at the time but I think its awesome love the rocking guitar at the beginning, and James looks so friggen hot with long hair)


3 comments:
I can see why you liked them Danni, and I too like the guitar at the beginning of the second video!
And James is so yummy! I have seen some current pics of him, I think he is about 40 now, hasnt got long hair but still yummy!
They are adorable!
xoxo
Post a Comment