Im so excited as tomorrow, Paige is starting her speech therapy! We will be seeing a private speech therapist and getting 6 free sessions thru Medicare and a Enhanced Primary Health Plan, and the rest is funded by our Early Intervention Programme. Tomorrow Robyn will come to our house as its the first session but I think after that we will be going to Ballarat, where her office is based as well as having sessions here. Im really happy that we are finally getting some speech therapy. Speaking to other mums of kids with Down Syndrome, speech therapy is quite hard to access because there are heaps of people waiting on the public system ( Summer is currently on the waiting list at Melton Health for some speech therapy) and private speechies cost lots of $$.
While on the subject of speech therapy, Summer is finally saying some more words! "No" being her favourite word at the moment, followed by "Mine". She is saying her sister's name as well, but it sounds funny, not exactly "Paige" it sounds more like "Poge". I love hearing her chat to herself, she has a sweet little voice but when she screams, man, she sounds horrid! I tell you, the stellar performances are getting better and better! She has been pestering Paige so much the last couple of days. She grabs Paige from behind wanting to hug her but its more like a rough hug. She grabs at her top and pulls it, she hits her and Paige gets so upset and takes it very much to heart! She starts to cry and the tears fall like Niagra falls! And the fighting! OMG!! Its started!!! Over DVD's, books, toys, etc.
Kinder Update
This morning I got a call from Marcia, our Early Intervention case worker and she told me she went to visit Paige at kinder and she had a lovely morning there. She told me that her teachers have reported that she has settled in well, and has adapted to the routine, which is great! She cooperates with getting her nappy changed and she loves to paint, hence all the artwork Ive been getting, and she loves the books and the Home corner. Im so happy she has settled in at kinder and she has made friends, and the best part of the day is when she runs out of the door and gives me a big hug!
Ive organised a tour of the school I want to send her to next year. They have a programme there called "Springboards" which is a programme for children not quite ready for school. Its a transitional programme set at the school where they are involved in the school community, wear the uniform etc, but instead of doing another year of kinder, they do a pre prep class instead. I do think Paige will benefit from this but I shall find out more about it at the school tour!
Ive already seen a bit of Darley Primary School as we go to Playgroup there but I want to see more and find out about their Integration programme for special needs children. I can hardly believe my big girl is in school next year! The first term of kinder is just about over and Id like this year to slow down a little, the years are going way too fast for my liking. At least Ill have Summer at home for a bit longer, she is my baby and am not ready for her to fledge yet!
4 comments:
The speech therapy will be great for them both, and "Poge" sounds so cute! LOL
That's wonderful about the speech therapy!! And Summer starting to talk - right on!! Of course, those very words would be the ones!! "Mine!!!!" and then the fight's on! LOL!!! Kids will be kids, I guess. And of course we all knew from those first day of school photos you shared with us, that Paige would fit right in with Kinder. She looked right at home!! So cute!! Take care, Danni, and hugs to you all! xoxoxo
Linda Lou
Oh wow school talk!? That has come around insanely fast! Springboards... that sounds so cute. And I love how they do these drawings and paintings, are you keeping some (I have to bin so many .... I feel guilty but our house isn't big enough to store all her fine works ;P ).
And omg that is one thing I'm relieved about that L doesn't have a sibling here: the fighting!
Ace news on your ST, and a private one too. WOOT! Why shouldn't she have the best, eh? I'll bet Paige benefits immensely from it.
Im putting all the artwork in a box cos I just cant bear to part with it!
Post a Comment