Summer started daycare yesterday, where she will be going every friday and after feeling a little apprehensive about dropping her off because she can scream quite loudly, she surprised me by going off and having a wonderful day! She even had her afternoon nap. Anyhoo, it has seemed to have effected her speech in a very positive way as today and yesterday she has been talking a whole lot more, saying new words and even stringing two words together!
Yesterday afternoon she wanted to draw and wanted another sheet of paper and I said "More paper Summer?" to which she said "More paper," in her sweet little voice. Whenever I say its bathtime she will reply with " No baff!" She is also saying sock, shoes, blue, although it sounds like "boo" , fork, toast, although it sounds like "tost" and Paige, although it sounds like "Poge" . There are other words but have forgotten them. Im really happy that the talking is starting to take off and hopefully she will start talking my ear off! We are still on the wait list for speech therapy and on Thursday went and had a speech assessment done. The speechy said Summer has a bit of a speech disorder but its nothing serious. Its something called Developmental Apraxia of Speech. But now that she is starting to talk more Im not as worried that something else is wrong with her!
In other news, we had our school tour of Darley Primary School this week and Im totally in love with it! Marcia and I had a lovely meeting with the Assistant Principal who discussed Paige's needs with us and in an earlier post I mentioned the "Springboards" programme, for children not quite ready to start Grade Prep, anyway, I mentioned that to Shirley and she said that Springboards wouldnt be good for Paige because it would only hold her back. She feels with the right support and with a lot of support behind her that Paige will be ready to start Grade Prep next year!
Shirley has been in my shoes as she has a son with a disability and she told me that I have a fight before me but the school with be behind me 100%! there are quite a few children at the school with a disability and they have many integration aides there! So now the wheels are in motion to get Paige assessed for the appropriate funding she needs. She told me not to be alarmed at the assessment as it will paint her in a bad light and its all because they need to get her the appropriate funding. Im prepared but Im sure it will still hurt. Anyway, the enrollment forms are filled out and handed in and Im really feeling excited and happy about this all!
3 comments:
Danni, do you realize that you are talking about schooling for both girls and just a few short years ago you didn't even have babies??!! Wow how time flies by, LOL!
That is SUPER news about Summer talking, and I'm sure it will just keep improving as she's around her playmates!
Oh what an excellent update :) "No baff" sounds soooo cute! So it's no wonder Summer gets a bit irate sometimes, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for a LO to not be able to communicate with words. That was an interesting link on DAS.
That is just wonderful, Danni!! I knew she would come around. I think, the same happened with my youngest son, Darren. He was later than usual because he had a big brother to speak for him!! When he went to Kindergarten here, however, he didn't speak at all, which surprised us all because, by then, he could talk. Well, they got him a psychological assessement and the Dr. said he was just shy, and he had absorbed everything that he needed to to go to Grade 1. Those kids can sure keep you on your toes, I tell ya!! lol!! I wish you luck on the school for Paige as well. You are full of exciting news this post. That's wonderful! I better let you go, it must be "baff" time for Summer! (Ha!Ha!). So sweet!!
Take care and hugs to all! xoxoxo
Linda Lou
Post a Comment