Paige was discharged from hospital yesterday and its such a relief being home! Although she isnt 100% there is nothing else they can do for her in hospital. The respiratory team had a look at her yesterday and said antibiotics for another 3 weeks will help with her recovery but since she had such a bad bout of pneumonia, it will take at least a month before she is fully recovered. My poor girl is so wonky on her feet, she has been in bed for 2 weeks and cos of her muscle tone, finds it difficult to walk now and it breaks my heart seeing her so wonky.
The poor little darling was so unsettled last night, and it was to be expected, she hasnt been in her bed for 2 whole weeks, and has had me with her by her side, plus I guess she felt alone being in her room all by herself. Its so noisy in hospital too, there is always machines and alarms going off, it does one's head in! Especially in the ICU, with the oxymeters going off if the patient's sats dip or their respiratory rate increases or their heartbeat drops or increases, I tell ya, its a wonder the nurses dont hear it at home!
Ive had time to reflect on Paige's stay in hospital and when I think of what could have happened to her it really frightens me! In my recent post I think I mentioned that her blood sugar level on the night she seizured was .8, that is dangerously low and when I read that she could have gone into a coma or worse, it frightened me! When she had that seizure, she had been without food for almost 16 hours, in an unwell child that is very bad! At one point she stopped breathing and they had to use a bag to ventilate her. She couldnt be roused, it was just awful, seeing all those doctors in her room, working on her. I get so upset when I think of my poor little girl having a seizure. I tell you what, I never, EVER want to experience something like that again!
I got to meet some wonderful people during our hospital stay, some of them were parents of children in the ICU. There was a dear little baby boy who has spent 2 months in the hospital, as he has several heart defects. He has been there since birth and I got to know his family during our stay there. They would hold prayer vigils by his bedside and I truely hope that he gets better, no child should have to go thru what he is going thru.
The nurses and doctors who looked after Paige both in ICU and up on the 5th floor were so wonderful, so friendly and patient. There was one bitchy nurse in ICU who really upset me and she shouldnt have been working around very sick children either cos she was coughing FFS! Some people shouldnt become nurses or doctors if theyre gonna be bitchy! I actually reported her to the doctors, I dont know what good that did but I had to get it off my chest! The bitch really upset me.
So Im happy to be home now, but as I mentioned, it will be a long road to full recovery, which means no playgroup, or occasional care for a while, Ive even suspended my gym membership for a while till this thing blows over.
4 comments:
God Bless Miss Paige, and I am SO glad she is finally home! I also said a prayer for that poor little boy you wrote about. His story brought tears to my eyes, and I agree that no child should have to go through so much trauma :'o(
Good idea about suspending your gym membership. It will be there when you're able to resume your workouts. In the meantime, your heart and priorities are in the right place, dear friend, and I continue to send prayers and healing vibes to your darling girly.
Love you! xoxo
Darling girl! OMG I am in shock, it has been too long since I visited you here and I am so dreadfully sorry I wasn't here offering my support too :`(
Good on you for reporting that nurse, I am certain some of them must live in their own bubbles - they get so used to illness that perhaps it steels them and they forget it is new and scary for the patients and their families. We had a few of those when Ella was in for that month and, boy, I didn't hesitate to speak up. So good on you, again.
I am sending you as much stay strong vibes as I can muster, you take care now - as a mummy you are of course right by your dear baby girl's side and she knows that. What a blessing for her that she has you. I hope hope hope that Paige's road to being on the mend is smooth and blessedly brief xxxx
Thinking of you all.
Kirrily I sent you an email :o)
Thank God you and Paige are now at home. It's at least much more pleasureable and comfortable and I think better for recuperation!! I was astounded to find out that Paige had not been breathing - My God that would have scared the life out of me!! It's just so nice to hear she is doing better, even though it will be a long road to recovery. And yes, there is always one rotten nurse, at least in my experience!!! I don't know why that is --- but I've never seen it otherwise even though the rest of the staff are wonderful. I don't blame you for reporting her. My husband reported one miserable ass one that I had, when I was in the hospital with my first son and she was - shall we say - corrected!! So sometime's it is worth reporting them, and then others will benefit from that. Take care Danni, and give a kiss to the girls for me and I just know Paige will do better now that she is at home again.
xoxoxoxoxo
Linda Lou
Post a Comment