Monday, October 03, 2005

Pregnancy Trivia/Facts

While I play the waiting game I thought Id post some interesting pregnancy facts.

*Every week, your uterus grows 1 centimeter and corresponds with how many weeks pregnant you are, for example if you are 28 weeks, then your fundal height is 28 cms from the top of your pubic bone.

*Thanks to hormones, a pregnant woman develops a dark line called the "Linea Nigra" which runs down the centre of the abdomen to the top of the pubic bone.

*A pregnant woman should only sleep on her side and not on her back, as the increasing weight puts a lot of pressure on the back, intestines and two major blood vessels, the aorta and the inferior vena cava. This can aggrovate backaches, haemorrhoids and make digestion less efficient, and can cause hypotension and low blood pressure.

*A fetus will have regular periods of REM(active sleep), deep sleep, active wakefulness and quiet wakefulness.

*By the last month of pregnancy, the umbilical cord has grown to over 60cms in length and the placenta weighs about 680grams.

*During labour the cervix dialates at 1cm per hour.

*Amniotic fluid is self replenishing.

*Nipple stimulation can bring on labour if one was to stimulate her nipples from 39 weeks for 3 hours a day, lol.

*Other labour inducing things are, eating spicy food and to have lots of sex.

I hope you enjoyed these little tidbits of info, I didnt know what else to write about today :P

No comments: