I began having pains on Tuesday, but by late Tuesday night they intensified and at about 11pm, they began to wake me. This was the start of my labour. The contractions came at about 20 mins apart and I phoned the hospital and told them but they told me to come in when they were coming in at about 6 mins apart. I timed them but found them to be irregular. At about 4.30am on Wednesday, I woke Rob and told him to take me into the hospital, as they were coming in at around 10 min intervals, and much more painful.
Once at the hospital I was admitted to the labour ward, and the CTG monitor was placed on my tummy to monitor the baby's heart beat and my contractions. A doctor then came to examine me and I was already 3cm dilated! I was told to go for a walk and come back, then I was shifted to another birth suite, again with the monitor on my tummy. Another internal exam found I was still only 3cm dilated so the doctor artificially broke my water with a long crochet like hook. That wasnt very pleasent! Then the hormone drip was administered so that the labour could speed up. Every hour the midwife turned the drip up and my contractions became more painful and intense. Up until then I didnt need pain relief but I gave in and demanded something for the pain as I was in agony. I got given gas to inhale and that was awesome, but it did make me groggy, and in the end, I couldnt take the mouth piece away because I was in so much pain.
I was crying so much and then I had an urge to push so I told the midwife and I was examined again, I had reached 10 cm dilated and was ready to push my baby out. I thought she wouldve been born in a jiff, however, after 2 hours of pushing and excuciating back labour, nothing was working. It was 5pm and the doctors had to do something because I was running out of steam and getting distressed. I was given an epidural and was told that they would either try forcep delivery or a c/section. So at about 5.45 pm I was wheeled into theatre and was examined internally again, however baby was too high up for forcep delivery so, they performed an emergency caesarian on me.
At approximately 6.18pm on Wednesday, I gave birth to my precious baby girl. The sound of her crying was music to my ears. They took her to the recusitation table and wrapped her up and then gave her to me. When she opened her eyes, I cried because she was so beautiful. They then took her to the special care nursery for the night, as they had to examine her. Her heart is perfectly fine except for a small hole which doesnt require surgery!
No comments:
Post a Comment