Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Feeling On Top Of Things

Ever since my psychiatrist told me to increase my meds, Ive been feeling so much better. I havent had a blue day for weeks now and I havent lost my temper at anyone since then either! The key is to remember to take my meds in the morning, otherwise Im horrible to deal with. A couple of times I have forgotten to take my meds and by the time I take them in the afternoon, I am stressed and in a bad mood. Funny how it usually happens when Rob is at home.

My grandma even rang me up the other week to remind me to take them, but I had already beat her to it and had taken it just before she called. Its unbelievable how they make you feel. I feel so relaxed and calm, even when Summer wont settle and continues to cry and carry on, I dont feel stressed out or tense. Even my mates in my October 05 Buddy group have said how much better Im sounding in my posts.

Im determined not to let the depression demon win this battle! I WILL overcome this and I WILL win! Im not going to let it walk all over me and mock me. When Im having a blue day, when Im feeling like I cant handle things, Im letting it win, Im letting it take over me and over come me, well, I have news for the depression demon, YOU WILL NOT WIN! I admire people who dont feel depressed, who dont let things take over them, and in a way Im jealous cos I wish I was like that too.

I am finding it easier to cope these days. Ive gotten to know Summer a lot better now and understand why she cries. No one said this mothering gig was easy, and Ive certainly had my share of ups and downs but now the way I see it, the only way is up!

71 comments:

Jude said...

Good for you honey, you'll beat it! I was on meds for depression for a short time once and I honestly don't know how I'd have made it through without them.

Sarah J. said...

It's amazing how bad your HEART and SOUL can hurt sometimes. Worse than any physical pain! And relief is sometimes so hard to come by! Good luck to you, and way to go for being optimistic!

The Dapper Darling said...

Yes...optimism is key! Go forth!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I would do without my lexapro.

GreedyGirl said...

Hi www.greedygirlsguide.com checking in from SITS

Glad everything is looking up

Beth in NC said...

Coming over from SITS. You WILL beat this because you have the right attitude to overcome.

Robin said...

You go girl!

http://karen.pnn.com said...

So glad to hear you are feeling chipper now. Medication can certainly be helpful when taken according to Doctor's directions.
Happy SITS day!

Kim said...

Meds can be a wonderful thing! Glad they are working for you!

JennyMac said...

Glad things are improving. Good luck.

Stopping in from SITS.

Unknown said...

Keep your chin up and stay positive. Eventually you will have the strength, because I see the will power, for you to take this on without meds!

God Bless!

Have a Scent-sational SITS day!

Anonymous said...

I love your determination. I hope you don't have too many blue days. I hate that feeling!

Angeline Schnare said...

I'm with you on the meds. I swear I was reading a page from my own emotional roller coaster. And it does seem funny how it all gets "worse" when the husband is home.
I think moms need all the help they can get. It's a tough job and we have to wear many hats. Keep positive and don't feel down. Even when you do, stop by my blog and send and e-mail, OK!

Kerri said...

Depression can be a horribly debilitating thing. Glad to hear your spunky attitude! And that you're wise enough to take medication! Well done!

McVal said...

Good for you!

glenna said...

thumbs up to you! Happy SITS day!!

Laura said...

Happy SITS Day.

Jamie (Mom) said...

I am right there with you. Check out my blog at http://jamiedaggett.blogspot.com hear my stories. Although I am off meds now, I still have to fight at times not to give into the 'depression demons'. At any point I could be right back in my blahs if I allowed myself. Keep up the good work

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

I'm glad the meds helped you get a handle on things.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Happy SITS Day! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you've got a dose that works for you. Congrats on your SITS day.

Elizabeth Patch said...

I have much compassion for you. those dark demons of depression have haunted many members of my family. I hope you can stay in the light.

Kelly said...

Good for you. My meds have made me a more "sane" mama!!

Sandy said...

A positive attitude toward things is great to have! Good for you!

Wendy said...

Positive attitude changes everything! Good for you! I too have suffered from depression for over 15 years now. I have written a book about it that I am posting to my blog. Hop on over and take a look if you want.

The Dutch Girl said...

That's the right attitude! And if the meds don't help, the SISTA's will. Happy SITS Day!

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad to hear that you are starting to improve. I wish you all the best of luck.

Claire said...

Optimism is the most important thing, I think. Good on you :)

MrsM said...

You're absolutely right-being a mom isn't easy! It's good to take care of yourself-it makes it easier to take care of your little ones!

MommyBrain said...

Your message is important for women and moms - how brave of you to tell it with such honesty.

Anonymous said...

Yes! You can do it! I'm glad that things are working out - hopefully they still are a year and a half later! :)

Robin said...

I like this: "You will not win!" This is an awesome attitude! Keep this awesome attitude and things can only go right, we have to believe!

-robin
www.robingillis.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have Bipolar Disorder and it took me 40 years to be diagnosed. I had tried so hard to control my emotions and my feelings and I felt more depressed because I couldn't. I let pride stop me for a LONG time before I got help. I'm sorry I took so long sometimes, but most of the time I'm just happy I'm not on that particular roller coaster anymore. I'm happy you got the courage to get help AND you have the courage to talk about it.

~a SITSta

Jessica said...

Yep, good for you. It's a struggle for sure.

Mrs. Match said...

Glad you're feeling better. Depression is rough. I'm a firm believer in positive thinking, and it sounds like you've got a lot of that!

Amy said...

Awesome. I have my own demon - Anxiety. I wish I could conquer it like you are conquering the depression. In time I will. I am too afraid to go the medication route.

Cynthia said...

Good for you. So glad your are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! Keep your head up :)

Dee said...

You've got a great attitude.

Blessings. Visiting from SITS

Jewls said...

You go girl!!

tiarastantrums said...

glad to hear this - my brother struggles with depression and anxiety issues and goes on and off his meds all the time! It drives me crazy - I wish eh would just take them! He is 2000% times better and happier!!!

Michelle said...

I've dealt with depression of and on my entire life...shades of grey. no color.

Rebecca said...

While a positive attitude won't do it all - it certainly does help on those days when it seems like nothing else does, huh?

I've recently struggled with a mild sense of depression and on those days it was so hard to get out of bed and so hard to do anything, I felt so defeated. By choosing to have a positive attitude and telling myself I would win, it has made things so much easier - not better, but easier.

Thank-you for sharing your story.

Ally Wasmund said...

Thank you for sharing this with us! Stay strong! Depression is no fun (I'm on meds myself). It's even harder to explain it to people who have never been through it.

Chin up girl! You're an inspiration!

Happy SITS day!

Kate said...

Good for you, girl. You CAN beat this. I admire your attitude!

Happy SITS Day!

Are You There Mom? said...

Amen sister! Those nasty demons are all about hurting where they can aren't they? THIS is the attitude to have! You can defeat them in Christ Jesus!!!! Good for you SITS sister!

Jessica said...

Good for you! I struggle with depression and anxiety myself, and I know all too well the journey you're talking about. Stay strong!

Happy SITS Day!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're doing better. Depression is hard to overcome. Happy SITS day!

Jackie said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! Thanks for being so honest w/ so many others out there! Happy sits day!

Ashley said...

Fantastic that you are able to manage it so well!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Glad to hear that when you have a problem there is a solution that makes a difference for you.

Days of Whine & Noses said...

Good for you! I know how hard depression is to live with.

Stopping by from SITS

Breadwinner Wife said...

Such a great attitude! You can definitely succeed with positive thoughts like this :)

Missy said...

I too suffer from depression. It is amazing how quickly I can tell when I miss my meds.


Happy SITS day!

Helen McGinn said...

That is great. Brilliant post. Happy Sits day! xx

Anonymous said...

Good for you! :) Stay strong!!

Happy SITS day!

Shanda said...

Amazing how meds can mess with you. So glad things are feeling more balanced now. Stay on top of it!

Enjoy the SITSta love today!!!

Flory said...

Someone close to me has to take meds for depression. For a while, I felt like there was something wrong with him - I thought he was weak. I have been in denial really.

Now I understand that the meds do help.

shortmama said...

Keep it up girl! My mom has been battling depression lately and this week will be going through some testing to see if its womanly hormone related or something else. She is definitely looking forward to getting some relief and feeling more like her self again.

Preston said...

You go girl! Enjoy your SITS day!

Just Lisa said...

I need me some of these happy pills! I wouldn't say I'm depressed, but I would love to go a day without feeling stressed or losing my temper!

♥Jennette♥ said...

I can say i have been there,It does get better!!

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm happy you found something that is helping. I take meds for panic disorder. I resisted for so long and I don't know why because I feel much better now.

Michelle (hometc) said...

When you feel sad, depressed, fear or anger, you are out of alignment with yourself. We come back into alignment when we feel joy, appreciation and happiness. Its wonderful that you've found a way to keep yourself optimistic and happy :)

Patricia said...

good for you getting the help you need. you are right.. mothering is not easy. Stay strong!

Happy SITS day!

KatBouska said...

So many people need to read this. Depression is such a dark dark place to be.

Crazy in Alaska said...

Hello from a fellow sufferer. No, strike that... conqueror! There's a reason my blog is named what it's named! :D

Maria said...

You'll be fine. It's all about attitude!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Sometimes I think I need meds too :S Glad they are helping you feel back on top of things!!

La Belle Mere said...

I'm a little late responding - sorry! Have had a manic couple of days.

I'm on meds too and I have my own battle with depression which I have blogged about from time to time. I know exactly where you are coming from.

Glad to hear you are feeling good.

Lots of love.

LBM xxxxxx

mamammelloves said...

I have struggled with depression too. I know it can be very hard to get out of that "mode", and sometimes other people just don't understand how truly difficult it can be. Glad to hear that you are doing something about it, and that you are feeling better. Keep that positive attitude! :)