Saturday, September 03, 2005

Birth Class Number 3

Okay, so at Thursday night's childbirth class, the midwife gave us a tour of the labour ward. I think we all had seen it when we were booked in earlier on in our pregnancies, but it was nice to have a refresher. We got shown the nursery, where we are to bathe our babies and change their nappies. The babies dont get left in there these days. They share a room with mum, however, if you go to have a shower or something, the midwives keep the baby in a room next to them because their station is a bit faraway from the nursery.

Then we were shown the birthing suites again. Most of the girls want to have their babies in the new birth suites, but as the midwife said its first in best dressed. I dont particularly care if I give birth in an old birth suite or a new one, so long as I aint giving birth out in the corridor, Im happy, lol. The midwife showed us various equipment that is used during labour, like a birth stool, and the monotoring equipment they use to monitor the baby and the contractions, this is in case you have an epidural and cant feel anything.

After the labour ward tour, we went back to the class room and watched a labour video. It was rather graphic, I might add, but it was real afterall. It was done in New Zealand. This girl who was having the baby in the video had no pain relief at all. The only pain relief she used was massage that her husband gave her. Then when she went to the hospital, she had two midwives looking after her. She was kneeling down with her arms on the bed for support, and you saw EVERYTHING!!!! You saw the baby's head coming out and the dad catching the baby in his arms. It wasnt too bad, however some of the husbands in the class were turning away, Robbie was opposite, he was engrossed in the whole thing. The only part I found a bit sickening was seeing her getting her perineum stitched up after she tore, to me that looked more painful than actually having the baby.

Anyhow, I had another OB check up on Thursday as well, and Im happy to report that my weight has stayed the same as last visit. My baby is still lying in breech, so I am going for a scan at 36 weeks to see where we're at. Then I guess he'll tell me if Im going in for a c/section. At this point he doesnt wanna book me in for a c/section because the baby still has time to turn.

No comments: