At 12 weeks I had my first ultrasound. My OB suggested because of my age, I should have a screening to determine my chances of having a baby born with Downs Syndrome. He said I was still young and the choice was up to me, so I decided to have both the blood tests and the ultrasound. So firstly I had my blood tests, then I went and had my scan, and it was the most amazing experience ever!
As soon as the sonographer placed the transducer on my tummy and I saw Sproglet for the first time, and heard Sproglet's heartbeat, I couldnt help but cry! Actually, It was a mixture of laughter and crying. The sonographer couldnt get a clear view of what he wanted to get cos Sproglet was too busy jumping around and waving his arm at me. With this scan, called a Nuchal Translucency Scan, they measure the amount of fluid behind the baby's neck, also called the translucent part. That measurement, along with the blood test results and my age, goes into a computer and the computer comes up with the odds.
Anyhow, the sonographer wanted Sproglet to move so he could take some more views, so he tapped my tummy and Sproglet began moving around like a mexican jumping bean. Actually, by the time I was finished my tummy was quite sore because of the pressure the sonographer was putting on me. But to get to watch Sproglet, it was totally worth it. I have a pic of my scan and I took a photo of it with my cell phone so I can post it next time, but its a little hard to see. Do you ladies wanna see what 12 week old Sproglet looks like?
No comments:
Post a Comment