Okay, I have replaced the baby pic on my blog with a pic of Paige. Sorry its lopsided but I am yet to master how to replace the picture. Anyway, she was only about 14 hours old in this picture and she was in the special care nursery when it was taken. Rob and I had gone to see her and I was so nervous and frightened. I dont know why, I guess I couldnt believe she was mine and also I was terribly frightened that something was wrong with her.
She was in one of those perspex isolette boxes so that her temperature could be monitored. When I saw her again I was in denial that she had Downs Syndrome cos to me she just looked puffy from the birth, but the baby doctors told me that they did a karyotype of her blood and that it was highly likely that she did have it. The poor little thing looked so helpless and I was so scared to hold her, I guess I was scared that I would break her as I had never really held a baby before her. We had to wash our hands thouroughly before we were able to touch her so we wouldnt spread germs to her.
It was kind of horrible seeing her in there with all these other babies who were so tiny. Paige was the largest baby in there at 2600grams. There were other babies in there with tubes and what not, I was just very lucky and very thankful that Paige didnt need tubes or anything. I only got to spend about half an hour with her before she had to go to the Childrens Hospital for her Echocardiogram. That was worrying me more than anything.
While in the special care nursery, I tried breastfeeding her, and she was keen, but I just couldnt do it. They make Breastfeeding look so easy in books but its quite difficult to master. Anyhow, I wasnt separated for very long from her because after she came back from the Childrens, she was roomed in with me in the ward and I was so happy to have her there with me, it was awful being separated from her, I felt as though I didnt get to bond with her after the birth, I only saw her for about 10 minutes in theatre before I was whisked away to recovery and she to Special Care Nursery.
No comments:
Post a Comment