Monday, July 25, 2005

The Birth Plan

When I went to book into the hospital, the midwife gave me a birthplan. I never really gave it much thought before then, I just thought I'd go into hospital, with Rob by my side and have the baby, simple as that, lol. In a few magazines I had read that some women had a birth plan, and to me I thought that was a bit stupid. Like the Editor of Cosmopolitan Pregnancy said that when she had her baby, she wanted to give birth in her favorite designer dress, and when the midwife asked her if she'd like to have a shower to relieve the pain, she asked if they provided shower caps. The midwife said no, and the Editor said she didnt want to get her hair wet. I rolled my eyes at this behaviour and I thought, "For Christ's Sake, youre having a baby, not attending a fashion show, who cares what you look like."

Anyway, now that the birth is getting closer, I have been thinking as to what I want on my birth plan. I do think its a good idea to have one, but you must be prepared to abandon the birth plan in case things dont go exactly the way you want them. Like so far, Im having a vaginal delivery, but if my doctor thinks that the baby is too big, or is in breech position, then Ill most likely have a C section.

This is what the birth plan covers;

Are there any specific needs you would like met to make your stay comfortable,eg ( cultural, dietry, religious, etc)?

Who do yo wish to be present at the birth?

What do you require in the labour ward? eg use of mirror, music, dim lighting.

Do you have any special preferences regarding the following for labour?
Activity:
Showers:
Pain relief:
Positions for labour:
Positions for birth:

Would you like your support person to cut the cord if circumstances permit?

Do you wish to see your placenta?

Which method do you wish to feed your baby?

How long are you planning to stay in hospital? 1-2 days 3 days

Do you have any other special needs or requirements?

I understand that circumstances may occour during my confinement that may alter some of the choices that I have made above.


So there you have it, the birth plan. If I wanted I could have Def Leppard playing in the back ground but I dont think I will. I just want peace and quiet, I dont think I could handle music at that point.

No comments: