Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Surgery Update Number 2

Hey ladies, just reporting that all went well with Paige's proceedure on Monday! Im so relieved! It was such a long week last week and it was an extra long day on Monday. It started @ 8am when we had to check in @ the admissions office, then we were directed to the pre surgical ward where we had to wait to be seen to. There were other kids there awaiting various operations. There was one little boy of about 7 years old and I over heard his mum saying that he was on the waiting list for heart surgery since November last year, but he was cancelled 4 times! Then I overheard her saying that there was a chance he would be cancelled again that day because of no beds available! I was hoping and praying that they wouldnt do that to us.

Anyway, after being weighed and measured, we got sent for various tests; a chest xray, that she hated, then a blood test and ECG. We were waiting for about an hour for the friggen blood test, then after that it was back down to pre surg to wait for the surgeon to talk to me. There he explained how the proceedure is done. It was quite simple really, but the thing that frightened me was the anesthetic part of things. Paige had never had an anesthetic so I was worried something might happen to her. At 1pm we were taken to the pre op area and they had given Paige a mild sedative, but she was fine, she didnt cry at all, and I bet she was starving since she had her last feed @ 5am.

At 1.30pm, the anethatist wheeled her away, and being a very scared mummy, I cried as I kissed her forhead. My grandma and I went and had some lunch and then we met up with Rob and his parents and @ 3.30pm I got the call from her surgeon that the proceedure went well, as they had expected. What they did was insert a catheter thru her groin and with this they were able to study her heart closer. The duct that had remained open was the one that was causing the problem and her VSD was the less significant hole. They used a coil device to close the duct, and he said that that the pressure in her lungs had gone down although it will take a few weeks to become more effective.

We all breathed a sigh of relief! We then went up to recovery and there she was, wide awake, although groggy from the anesthetic. She was then wheeled up to the ward where she was attached to a drip and an oxymeter ( a machine they use to measure the oxygen saturation). She slept solidly, and at about 6.30pm I gave her a bottle cos she was starving, and I changed her into her body suit cos she looked like an orphan in her little hospital gown, lol.

I spent the night with her in the ward and even though I didnt have a bad sleep, I much prefered it when I was in hospital after having her cos I had my own room and its not as noisy in a maternity ward. The ward was so noisy, if there wasnt buzzers and alarms going off, it would be kids screaming. Yesterday we had to wait for another chest Xray and Echocardiogram to see if the coil was working, now we have to wait for a follow up appointment with Dr Cheung, her cardiologist.

Im so glad to be home now and get back to normality. I had a rough couple of weeks worrying about it. Before I sign off, we had a breakthru with the solids...She ate one teaspoon of pear and banana puree on Sunday, so today I will try again, hopefully she will eat it.

No comments: