Monday, August 22, 2005

A Slight Vent

Please forgive me everyone but this post is gonna be a bitching post. You may remember a post I did a week or two ago where I mentioned that the baby was in breech position, well, last week my in laws came over and I told my mother in law about it. Anyway, yesterday we went over there for lunch and I mentioned that in my child birth class, there are two of us with babies in breech position. Anyhow, her answer was "The baby is still in breech?" to which I replied yes. She didnt seem too happy that the baby was still in breech position. I said that there is still time for the baby to turn, however I said that if the baby didnt turn then Id most likely would have to have a caesarian.

Well, her reaction to that is what really pissed me right off!!! This is what she said:
MIL: "You'll have a scar."
ME: "Yeah I know." ( meanwhile Im silently fuming.)
MIL:" You'll have to stay longer in hospital."
ME: "I dont mind cos Ill have a good rest."
MIL:"When you leave the hospital you'll need help around the house because youll have stitches and you wont be able to lift anything heavy." Yada Yada, by this point I tuned out cos she was giving me the shits with her know it all attitude, like I was some dumb kid that didnt know anything.

Then she went on to say that when she had her daughter 32 years ago, she was in breech position and the doctor turned her around from the outside. To which Robbie and I replied that these days, OB's do not like to turn babies around manually. The midwife explained this to us on Thursday night's class, and she also said that they do not like to perform vaginal deliveries on breech babies because, especially if its your first, they dont know if the head will fit thru the birth canal. Thats why breech babies are delivered by caesarian.

Then my MIL went on to say "Did you OB give you some tips about how to turn the baby around?" and I said that there are some exercises which you can do to help the baby turn into position. By this stage I was well and truely pissed off. I dont know why she was so upset because I said I may need to have a c-section if the baby stays in breech. Its my body and my baby. Its not like Im doing it cos I want to. I know she means well but I really wish she would mind her own business when it comes to certain things, like how I am going to deliver my child!

No comments: