Monday, April 30, 2007
As If A New Mum Doesnt Have Enough To Worry About
I couldnt believe my eyes the other day while browsing thru the latest issue of "Pregnancy & Birth" magazine. I came across an advert for Baby Scales and that you can now purchase them from baby shops! Well, I knew it was a matter of time before they were brought onto the market.More rubbish for new mums to purchase and more for a new mum to worry about if she had them IMO. A new mum has enough to worry about, let alone going crazy obsessive with weighing her baby because she thinks the baby isnt putting weight on I know that if I had a pair of those scales when Paige was born, I wouldve worried myself sick as I wouldve probably been weighing Paige every five minutes to see if she was gaining weight.I remember the second visit to the MCHN! She had only put on 40grms and I was devastated! I thought she had put on so much more than a paltry 40grms. To make matters worse, the nurse said "Thats not very much." I was so upset and worried and when she wouldnt finish her bottles, I would sit there and make darn sure that she finished every last drop! That weekend in particular I woke her during the night to feed her, which blew up in my face as she was so sleepy and so disinterested that she did a power vomit right after her bottle; And it was all because I was paranoid she wasnt gaining weight I even went as far as to write up a feeding diary and every day, every feed Id write down how much she'd drink. I was told to stop as Id send myself bananas, and I was, when I got rid of that feeding log I was much happier, and another MCHN told me not to worry if she didnt finish the feed, its normal to leave about 50mls behind. Que a sigh of relief from this worried first time mum!I know that when Jelly Bub is born, Im going to try to take it easy and relax! Im not going to force my baby to drink her bottle, Im not going to keep a feeding diary, Im not going to obsess about weight gain (although its difficult when all around you, the emphasis is that a big baby=a healthy baby ) Those baby scales are a bad idea for new mums, there is going to be a lot of worried mums out there obsessing about weight gain!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment